Uniti software update is here!

Yesterday I heard the NOVA compared to SN2 and ND5 XS 2.
I really was impressed how much there sound can be improved (for me the Nova was an improvement to the T+A separate components which I owned before) so I am waiting for the new NAC-N 272 in the design of the Nova without any input selectors on the front, please.

I use the same 20 mins auto standby and it still works on my Atom after the latest software update.

Despite saying I was going to wait, the lure of potentially better sound quality was too great and I upgraded my Nova at the weekend. I have done a fair bit of listening and re-tuning and right now I’m still to be convinced. What is not in doubt is the SQ changes and after 5 months system tuning and positioning speakers to match 2.6.1, I’ll have to start that over again. My overall impressions thus far are aligned with others, except the bass which doesn’t appear to have changed much for me i.e. still tight and plentiful.

First change I noticed was soundstage and had to slightly reposition the speakers to get back to pre upgrade state. With that done, the overall presentation of the music is more detailed and there is better separation as others have noted. These changes are good in my system.

The area though that means the jury remains out is the high end which is brighter. I have spent time elIminating unpleasant high end distortions in my room, but some of these have come back, suggesting there is emphasis on different frequencies and now I’ll have to hunt them down and remove them. I’d rather not have to do that after an upgrade for features.

Naim needs to find a way to solve this issue as currently, it is the main reason I would not upgrade my Nova for another Naim device, especIally as I had similar issues with the Atom but took a leap of faith with Nova (which was all good until the upgrade). There also needs to be a way back for customers who simply cannot live with the ‘upgraded’ sound.

I’ll keep listening and see how it (or I) evolves and update later.

2 Likes

If there is a 272 replacement it is highly unlikely that being a classic series component that it will be styled like the Uniti series.

1 Like

Yes, the dealer told me the same :-). The big color screen of the streamers is not unlikely, this is mandatory for me. A component without input selectors could be also possible for the classic series.

Exactly, this is the problem, not in general!
@Flachead: “The area though that means the jury remains out is the high end which is brighter. I have spent time elIminating unpleasant high end distortions in my room, but some of these have come back, suggesting there is emphasis on different frequencies and now I’ll have to hunt them down and remove them. I’d rather not have to do that after an upgrade for features.”

This is how my Atom had starterd to sound prior to the update. The upper end was beginning to hurt and sounded brittle.I tried everything to try and calm it. After the latest update it seemed initially to have changed sq back more to what it used to sound like when I first got it , detailed and rich and the unruly highs had been calmed. But then after a few days it started to sound brittle again. I’m away at the moment so it’s been off while away. Be interesting to hear what it sounds like when I return.

All OK now, status quo returned. Toggled to 10 mins which worked and then back to 20 mins which is now working.

Something seems to be wrong with the update routine when a setting has changed. The same happend with the time setting.

Interesting you mention trading in for the SN2 & NDX2. I am considering the same. I get mixed feedback if it is much of an upgrade over the Nova, but it appears to be a more stable and consistent sounding platform. I plan to schedule a home demo shortly.

1 Like

Had a proper listen to my Nova today after the upgrade, the verdict is it’s practically unlistenable! It’s all mid range, the imaging has gone, the sound comes from front and centre of the speakers, no width, depth and it sounds terrible, I’m very disappointed.
Why don’t Naim just do the functionality updates and leave the sound signature alone?
Really annoyed.

Nick

Sorry to hear about your experience, but misery loves company. Join the club.

I hope Naim comments on our experiences and addresses how/when they plan (if any) to address this issue.

I contacted my dealer as well and asked them to talk with Naim (hoping as a dealer, they may get a proper response).

They will likely do the same as last time which was nothing and say that of all the X amount of users only a handful have complained. The beta testers will come out in denial and we are stuck with it until the next update takes its back or even further away from the sound we bought into.

What ever you do, make sure you have done a full reset of the unit after the update.

Everyone here has done this and many users are obviously not satisfied with the SQ.
Please take the topic seriously. These are massive changes to a device, which costs 5,000 EUR.
On the other hand, everyone acknowledges that Naim is making functional improvements, thanks for that.

1 Like

I think it will be very interesting to focus on the problem. You have to try listening sessions to eliminate the root cause : it is possibly the preamp, the streamer or the amp part. Try to make test with an external source (like CD player). If the sound don’t change it is probable due to the streamer section (you need to take care of your upon and Ethernet setup. Also try to connect a power amp…

I don’t have this kind of problem on my setup.

Hi Richard- do you mean full power off or restrore to factory settings form the front menu.? I did A full power off and I’m very happy with my nova updgrade

Full factory reset.

Pomito, I do take the topic seriously, hence my reply and why I recommended that anyone who feels the sound is not right should first undertake a full factory reset after undertaking the software update. I know that Naim take a great deal of time and care in listening and ensuring that with each update sound performance is optimised. So if things sound as bad as you say, I’m sure your dealer and they would want to know about it and work out why.

However, the forum is not the best place for direct support, and I’m moderator but I cannot speak for Naim on this, so if you still have issues I would recommend you speak with your supplying dealer who can then liaise with their distributor and/or Naim directly.

Following the instructions on the Naim product page for the Atom, I do not get any message saying reset in progress.
I find these instructions rather confusing.

I did a ‘full factory reset’, changed out cables, ethernet switch, etc. Reset everything more than once.

The point being, why should I have to go through hoops reconfiguring my system after an update?

I am happy for those who are pleased with the result of the firmware update. Unfortunately I am in a position where I am now avoiding listening to my Nova because of the bright, overly analytical sound. Very frustrating and disappointing…