Uniti Star Display Disappears after Firmware Upgrade

Only asking for more details on a form which I returned yesterday…

1 Like

Ok that may put that theory to bed then. However after being on standby last night it was fine this am.

We’re coming up with some great theories here and none of them any bloody good. :joy::joy:

Spoke to soon … got home put radio on. Frozen so powered of the entire network so see what happens tomorrow after a night in standby.

No lockup’s with my Naim and my current BT smart hub 2 router.
I guess if you read the the BT guidance it says some consumer products can get confused with band steering… a key part of modern WiFi, and gives you option to split or combine (the 2.4 and 5) bands to suit some tricky equipment you may have. (As well as some other interoperability settings)

However elsewhere I have found Naim’s implementation of dhcp timeout is not great, and on some dhcp servers in certain conditions the Naim could hang.
I have found with the new streamer architecture this is massively improved.

I rebooted everything and let each reboot fully before booting the next and it seems fine since - router/switch/Nova in that order

Yep that’s what I did earlier. I’m leaving it on standby until I get home tomorrow night as it only locked up when coming from standby… I’ll report back tomorrow night

Yes, I had the same response some time ago from my dealer. Fortunately after ‘few attempts’ to report the issue they finally replaced the unit so in the end it was a good service from the dealer.
Funny that the previous problem I had, was related to the screen as well (constant flickering). After the latest update my screen is playing again as described in this post.
Personally I am sort of tired with it. The latest update did not bring much new functionality (why on earth I cannot make now playing screen displaying artists and song information permanently for example…) but instead it brought a different display problem again.
I can deal with it but how to explain other members of the family who use it that in order to see anything on the screen you need to unplug from the mains then plug back or reset to factory settings. Then I have to withstand the evil looks and question ’ so how much did you pay for this premium product?’ fortunately I have some vintage amplifier and Squeezebox so I am using this more often now but I would really wish if I could give it back and get the money I paid.

1 Like

Spoke too soon, mine has gone again and is stuck on home screen, seems the rebooting thing is a red herring.

Yep same here after complete network shut down and turning in slowly the nova is still frozen this am…damn it!

1 Like

Same for me.
Such a long time to wait for a firmware update which just brings problems

Mine is Ok this morning.
As per my previous post, #20, I’m still of the opinion that it is network related.
I have a 2960 switch on which I set the Atom network port data speed to 100 as thats the port speed on the Atom. A sensible move you would think … errrr no!
Resetting the port speed on the switch to ‘auto’ has improved all responses when using the remote or the IOS app. Everything (so far) seems much faster and as I said, more responsive.
Switch on this morning from the IOS app was virtually instant and tuning into a preset radio station was a couple of seconds at most.
I’m hoping this is a fix for me, I will report back straight away if I get any issues, if not I will post again after a few days after I’m sure everything is OK.
FAMOUS LAST WORDS and all that. :+1:

There are very good an positive things about these units. The sound is good. I really like it. The fact that it accommodates all different means of transporting music such as Chromecast or Airplay is fantastic. Ironically, these days, a good sound and features are not enough. Most manufacturers make equipment which sounds good, slightly different but good. The edge is in software and user friendliness. I still believe that the concept is great but as it stands with the current software it is a device for single ‘geek’ males rather than a family living room one.

Still waiting for Naim to fix something. Every time I switch the unit on with my remote it becomes unresponsive for the remote and the screen is either black, grey or showing something its default page but completely unresponsive. It then only responds to the app, not always, and I can start listening. If it don’t responds, I have to unplug / replug it to make it work again. Not waiting for another rubbish fix, but if this takes long to fix is a reversion of functionality-firmware fix for affected users an idea ?

Totally agree with you. For me its more than enough. Wonder what’s first : my new NAD M10 of the firmware fix so I can decently sell the Naim …

I don’t know … I have a problem sometimes, but not so much as described.
I believe old network hardware could cause to time response problems so the communication stop. I would never think of using such an old network switch as the Cisco 2960. Network communication is a big issue for streaming technology. This senseless bauble creates incompatibilities that no manufacturer can take into account.

The display on my Unity Atom also freezes as described in the previous posts - never happened before the software update.

Nothing wrong with my network though, that’s in top shape. It really is the uniti itself.

Generally, I have understanding for minor failure. For me the Nova, Atom and new streamer generation are the most complex streamers on the market (Airplay2!, Chromecast, changing standard like Tidal integrated, HDMI, color display). This requires a lot of development. I remeber, T+A was not able for long time to develop an acceptable app or to implement any music service (Airplay until now not available) because they are more carefully with new standards. The high level of functionality must not go unmentioned either. And the prices are not so high than other brands.

However, who loves his device, he can be patient :kissing_heart:.

luckily my dealer has been nothing but helpful and we are swapping novas this weekend to see if its my network or nova- cant ask for more…