Uniti Star Display Disappears after Firmware Upgrade

As per post #39. I don’t have any BT stuff.

I have found my Atom to be susceptible to network changes that have locked it. When I was testing audiophool network cables it just locked up when I pulled one out and put another in. Also had odd behavior when power switch off and on and Atoms on. It’s never very stable afterwards until a powercycle.

This is interesting. My router (RT-AC87U Merlin firmware) autoreboots every saturday night. Sometimes the Atom can’t handle this and freezes (about 1 on 5 times), and also don’t responds to the app and I have to hard reset.
The post-firmware update freeze is different. Black (or grayed, with still something vaguely visible) screen, non responsive to the remote, but still responsive to the app.
I’ll remove the network cable and connect via Wifi. See what happens then …
would be nice if there was any respons of Naim. Looks like they completely disregard this official users forum ?

Ron, as I posted previously, Naim do not officially monitor the forums, as dealing with individual issues becomes impossible this way. Issues are often unique to each user, with unique supporting equipment and network contributing. If you have a support issue you need to use the correct channels - either through your dealer, by phone, or by email.

My Nova’s doing the opposite now, with the screen setting set to off it now won’t switch off at all!

Day 6. Not so good. Had to do a reset. Remote wouldn’t work although the remote on off did. Did a +3sec power button push, psycho screen reset and all seems ok now. Disappointing though, thought I had a handle on it.

Did you read that the old network hardware may responsible (Hifi-Dog: In the network from the dealer the problem didn’t occur and in the home network many times)? And with a managed switch you can also set something wrong. For (sound improvement), the price is an incompatible network due to outdated standards. It’s unfair for me to always blame Naim because some believe that their old network devices have to work. I read only the clients have problems using this kind of network devices. I haven’t any problems and there is the same FW is intalled, because I use common router (AVM!Fritz) and network switches (Netgear). You are welcome to stay in your position and complain every day.

@Pomito, you make some interesting points.
I have just reset my switch to ‘unmanaged’ in case theres anything in the saved configuration is causing the problem.
While the switch in ‘managed’ mode could cause issues, the ethernet protocol is an international standard which shouldn’t cause problems with older equipment provided said equipment meets the required specification. If it worked before, its should still work now. To my knowledge the ethernet protocol hasn’t been changed with the exception of modifications for faster transfer rates etc. Legacy support is part of the spec.
I have been out of the networking game for a while now so if I’m wrong I would be grateful if someone could point me in the direction of my error and I will reboot my brain with the new firmware installed.
:joy:
Heres a link I found after writing the above.

A long shot, but are you able to check your router logs to see if the misbehaviour coincides with IP lease renewal ? I can’t think why it would, but as you’re leaning towards a network issue this seems an obvious one to rule in/out.

I’ve not had any issues with my Nova so it doesn’t seem a universal issue, but I do remember I had a few resets occur when the lease period was set to 1 day, I’ve set it to 7 and all now seems well (that was with one specific router - with another one I have had no such issue)

@TallGuy.
A good catch sir. My lease was set to 1 day (1440 mins). Just reset to 1 week (10080 mins).
Lets see how it goes. Thanks. :+1:

You are making the wrong assumptions : I have an unmanaged switch and an ASUS AC-RT87U router with Merlin firmware. Nothing wrong with that, but still suffering the same issues that everybody is describing in this thread. So I disagree on “I read only the clients have problems using this kind of network devices”. And BTW a lease reset of 1 week (for already over a year).

I have borrowed my dealers nova and that has locked, mine hasn’t in his shop. I have BT router/ modem and netgear unmanaged switch

I could try fixing the IP address which is possible with the BT hubs

You could but I don’t see how it will make a difference. But hey, what do I know, I haven’t got anything right yet. :joy::joy::joy:

ASUS is a router bought by PC-Gamers for short latency time. For me is also not a common device and for special applications. The problems may be caused by short latency time like the Cisco switch. It seems we need a compatibility list.

I suspect network issues is a red herring, why dont you disconnect from your network / switch and go wireless and see what happens?

that’s the next step when i get my nova back later this week…

What’s your dealers thoughts?:+1:

So what does he have ? If it is a network issue that could be important.

I don’t have issues and I have an Asus AC-88U (G.Fast) and Cisco 2960G, which I have made some configuration changes on, so is a managed switch. BT “Ultra fast fibre (up to 150Mbit)” but that shouldn’t matter. I have had my display set to ‘off’ and now it’s back to ‘on’ and I haven’t seen the issue with either setting.

I can’t see why it should be a network issue unless it’s a timing thing - if a specific network operation is taking place when something is also happening on the Nova and a register gets mis-set or something.

I can’t believe all those Novas have suddenly gone faulty so, as the firmware what’s changed, that should be the cause. But if that’s the case all Novas should be affected. That being the case there must be a local difference influencing operation; the obvious local difference must be the network, or delivered by the network; especially if the Nova only has speakers and no other audio device attached. Alternatively it could be the sequence of commands issued (from remote or app) generating a fault state. Whatever it is, it’s going to be obscure otherwise it would have been picked up in testing.

I still have the same display issues on my Nova -> locked home screen and display doesn’t wake up after the Nova powers up from standby.

My display off option is turned off in the app settings. I’m connected wireless to an AVM FRITZ! router. As described many times now putting the Nova into deep sleep or pulling the mains plug does help.

That’s not a way to live with and some kind of annoying. I’m still waiting for a fix by Naim!