Uniti Star sounding thin and fatiguing

Yes makes you realise some music is recorded for Spotify and Bluetooth speakers

Sorry to hear about your problem - how annoying.
Have you tried listening in the evening/weekend when the builders are not around.
Also would your local electricity board conduct a power quality check and address if the builders may be affecting you. Could power outages be effecting your Naim running in. Not sure how quickly normality is restored after an outage.
Clearly you have something that has changed.

Richard commented ā€œThose ethernet over mains devices are horrible and absolutely they will have a deleterious effect on performance.ā€
I have a ā€œmusic roomā€ on an electrical spur and also run Devolo adapters to provide my Internet for Qobuz (and a printer elsewhere). I would prefer not to but have no choice unless I run an external ethernet cable link. I have not encountered any SQ issues. I run Naim 72/140/Hi-cap2/Linn DS.

Paul, you could try using wireless access points, such as Airport Express units. These work well where you just canā€™t run a hard-wired ethernet and their effects on performance and the mains are far less than the ethernet over mains devices. You may be surprised at the uplift in performance. Theyā€™re super-cheap too!

1 Like

Sounds like a decent bait to meā€¦ But be prepared for the sparky thinking you are a total nutterā€¦ :joy:

A side note with Airport Express units.
I really like them too and recently picked one up from Ebay for 20 quid. It turned out that the Airport Utility on Macs running Mojave or later donā€™t support the older AE units anymore. So getting them up & running can be challenge.

1 Like

Sorry to sound anal but a mains spur is when you piggy back from another socket in any room on the ring .
Itā€™s a dedicated radial circuit or even a dedicated ring that most people have installed.

Airport utility seems to work fine for me with an old Airport Express on OSX and iOS.

Thank you for the suggestions. I will have a look for an airport express on eBay and see how I go.

Then youā€™re lucky. Older AEs are not supported by the newer OSX and iOS versions. Itā€™s a widely knows issue. For years. Oddly enough, the Airport Utility for Window still supports all AEsā€¦ :crazy_face:

Hello, Greybeard, I have tried both cables and the RCA - RCA seems slightly preferable to the RCA - Din, at the moment, but further listening required. It may be down to the Flashback RCA cable though.
I used the Din input originally in order to use the other RCA analogue input for my tv, now no longer needed as itā€™s been changed, and with my new tv I can now use the HDMI-arc input.
Deep joy, to borrow a phrase.

That is interesting. I will stick with RCA to RCA on this basis unless someone invents some other analogue device that I need to connect but canā€™t imagine that at the moment.

Me too, RCA is sounding better, perhaps a better match for my phono amp? The Din input may suit Naim phono devices?
Still, itā€™s an itch scratched.
Also, I found an old QED RCA switching unit, so can now input two sources, should need arise.
Happy bunny, more LPs to listen to.

Has there been a firmware upgrade?

I only ask as they can really affect the sound quality for better/worse depending on your setup and system synergy.

I didnā€™t notice any change after I uploaded the new firmware but it didnā€™t sound worse immediately. To be honest I havenā€™t had a chance to sit down and listen for a few days so canā€™t really say if things have changed. I am hoping to get my new TT this week so hopefully I will get a chance for a good listen at some point

In that case I suspect itā€™s not the firmware.

It may sound odd, but changes to the firmware code can actually alter the sound and Naimā€™s software team sometimes tweak things with the natural aim of improving things, but depending on other system components it may be better/neutral/different or worse sonically in a given system/environment which is why I asked - I had marked sonic changes with early Nova firmware updates, and although I initially preferred an older version, recent updates have been excellent soncially and the old version lacked many features which I do use.

Had a chance to sit down and listen to some music last night and happy to report that the Star was back to performing as it should. Was it my ears or was it the power supply? I donā€™t know but I am just happy that I can listen to music and enjoy it.
Also my P6 Ania Pro deck has arrived so there will be lots of listening coming up. Already it sounds like the bass is more defined, deeper and more clarity to the soundstage. Very pleased so far

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.