Uniti Star sounds ordinary- HELP

Naim aren’t the only top hifi brand not to support MQA

If Qobuz is available where you are that’s the obvious choice for hi-res streaming on Naim equipment. If you’re using the Naim app that tells you what the stream quality is e.g FLAC 24/96 or whatever.
I also echo the advice to steer clear of ethernet over mains extenders, they caused no end of trouble with my ND5 XS2 before I got rid of them and invested in a BT Whole Home mesh solution

In practice I find very little real difference between the Tidal and Qobuz versions even if the Qobuz version is higher res. You can test by playing that same song from both and see if there is reason to worry about this.

Or you could try out Roon. With Roon streaming to your Star you’ll get the first MQA unfold which means it gets up to around 96kHz/24bit.

Been using Roon for a while with my Star and I certainly don’t miss the full MQA unfold when comparing to Qobuz.

We really are talking about small differences here. If you worry too much about this it may detract from just enjoying the awesome device you got :wink:

So an update on the Ethernet mains adapter
It has worked, the sound has been transformed with clearer highs and a bigger soundstage
Now I can enjoy it and hopefully see more improvements as it runs in over time
Thanks again to everyone that joined in this topic and offered help, advice and their own experiences

1 Like

So the final update on the Uniti Star and Focal speakers
I have decided to return them to the retailer for a full refund
The final verdict is as follows:

1. The system sounds good but not fantastic
  2. I have no connection to the music, it stirs no emotion and the final straw is I don’t feel the urge to play it. I should look forward to getting home from work and relaxing listening to my music.
  3. I am not knocking the quality of both components as they are both top notch, it is the thought of paying £5000 and not have a system I am proud of
    So for now my music journey is on hold and who knows where it will end
    Thanks again for all of your advice
    Happy listening
    Jon

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.