Uniti Star SQ

I have a Nova and am looking for new speakers so had a demo of the Alpha’s with a Star at a dealer.
I haven’t a clue when describing how something sounds but I found them pleasing to listen to with good bass but not an overly detailed sound. Very spacious sounding though.
I borrowed them that night for a home demo and found the bass in my small room too much.
The bass was better controlled when I put them on some old floor tiles.
The sound was more focused with the tweeters inside.
My room is a small upstairs room and an odd shape so I think that was why ultimately they didn’t work for me.
I also don’t enjoy the sound via headphones.

1 Like

I have just bought a pair of PMC twenty5.21’s for my Nova in a smallish living room and they work really well. Good bass but not too dominant and they can go pretty close to wall

1 Like

@deadflagbrews

Hi, as I promised last weekend to try and help, I have now listened as best I could to the tracks you suggested. The results are in…all via Spotify I’m afraid.

Foals - I listened to several of the tracks that Spotify suggests are the most popular. Generally, I thought these sounded reasonable. I’m not sure what splashy is but overall I thought the Alphas coped well enough.

Both Mogwai and Godspeed You! Black Emperor were horrible, plus unfortunately not my thing at all.

My daughter volunteered to try Peasantry on her Sonos Play 1. Please don’t take this the wrong way because it did actually sound much better through the Sonos.

I cannot imagine any of the above is of much help to you, but I did give it a go.

ATB,

Mike

Thanks Mike. The Star has gone back and been refunded, I honestly prefer the sound of my Chromecast Audio into a cheap Lindy dac than I did the Naim and I wanted to love the Naim as it’s a stunning looking bit of kit. I probably don’t listen to enough Dire Straights/Pink Floyd to justify Naim gear :wink:

Haha, I must confess to owning one Dire Straits LP and one Pink Floyd LP, but no way am I going for any Genesis, King Crimson or Yes etc.,

It’s a shame the Star didn’t work out, but at least whoever took it back and coughed up a refund.

Maybe Naim will fit the bill in several years time when you eventually come to your senses and start listening to old duffers choons! LOL.

I was very lucky with the refund, but was pretty worried about sending it back. Thankfully got there quickly and I was quickly refunded. Still on the hunt for something else and I still have an issue with my pre-amp, so not sure which way to go now - try to get mine fixed and another basic streamer or try to find a streamer/pre as I’d hoped with the Naim. First test track will be Money For Nothing either way ‘cause there’s no denying it’s a belter!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.