Uniti2 + Focal 906 - what next?

Another good option is a Nova and a Core. Rip your CDs to the Core, and you have local high quality streaming via the Core and internet streaming with the Nova. A very tidy and simple set up.

1 Like

@placetobe I think I’d start by experimenting by researching how to rip a CD optimally to FLAC via something like DBPoweramp, then rip a few fav CDs and comparer to Uniti MP3 and internal CD playback. CD rips remove things like CDP error correction from the equation too. Wouldn’t take too long to do the test and should be helpful to inform a direction.

I went through THE PAIN of having to re-rip an entire CD collection from lossy iTunes files to FLAC when I bought my UQ2 - and it is a frustrating time consuming experience. I’m so glad I did it though, as I generally prefer streaming CD rips to handing the media (pesky jewel cases).

Alternatively, if that does not appeal, then I think Trickiedickie has nailed it - CDX2 and Supernait 2 or 3 from a good dealer.

Not really.

You may not be familiar with the CDX2. It was one of the last players Naim made.

Broadly speaking if you compare items from the same range in the Naim hierarchy they will be comparable. So a CDX2 is in the same range as the current NDX2. The CDX2 was £4310 when it was discontinued in 2017. You won’t find a CDX2 sounds the same as an NDX2 but they are in a similar ballpark in terms of capability, albeit different products.

So a CDX2 is a massive upgrade on the CD player that comes with the Uniti. You should find one for £1500 or less and Naim can still service them. They discontinued the item prematurely so they could retain sufficient stocks of the mechanisms for future servicing requirements.

If you pair it with Supernait you will have an excellent sounding system that suits your way of ‘working’.

If you feel the need to upgrade later there are options of a HiCap DR on the Supernait or an XPS/555 on the CD player.

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to reply at length, and apologies for being slow on the uptake.

Ok, but how?

Would I be using a digital or an analogue output from the CDX2?

If it’s a digital output, and I was using the Uniti2 DAC, then I’d expect that the best that the CDX2 could sound would be the same as the Uniti2 playing FLACs. I have trouble understanding how it could do a much better job of reading the digital data off the CD and sending it out as digital data. But this may be my ignorance.

If it’s an analogue output and the CDX2 has its own DAC, then I can absolutely see that the DAC might be a step up from the Uniti2 one, so that would make sense.

The CDX2 is a CD player with a DAC so you would use the analogue output.

With a CDX2 and a Supernait you would have a £7500 Hifi system (plus speakers). It wouldn’t be far behind an NDX2/Supernait 3 in performance.

It will be way better than what you have now, or indeed any of the current Uniti models.

Gotcha, and that makes sense.

So now my two options are:

1. CDX2 feeding the Uniti2 via analogue, upgrade to SuperNait2 later.
  2. Cheapo CD player feeding Nova via digital.

In terms of cost and being incremental, option 1 is very appealing. Those seem to be fairly available secondhand, e.g. £1250 at https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Naim-CDX2-cd-player-with-user-guide-ideal-audio/293952587521?epid=659911897&hash=item4470f08701:g:m10AAOSwaZdf~e2K.

My only reservation is that the CDX2 is quite old, so it’d be assuming that DACs having come on leaps and bounds over the last few years? That’s what you’re saying about the Uniti models, though.

I’d need to care about the cable between the CDX2 and the Uniti2. I am frankly scared of the world of cables, so it would be good if someone could suggest a few options.

There are more than 2 options but that is 2 of them!

In terms of Dac don’t get hung up on what’s inside, it’s how it sounds that matters. Even Naim’s top streamer uses an unfashionably old Dac.

Regarding cable, if you were to go with option 1 the CDX2 should come with a Din cable which is very good.

Option 1 looks good to me, with your musical tastes, at least if you don’t want streaming. I suspect that CDX2 + SN2 is not going to end up substantially more expensive than option 2 (depends on your el cheapo CD player/transport) and will sound a lot better. Perhaps funds might even stretch to both immediately?

The CDX2 comes with the correct interconnect so make sure it’s included if you go that route.

I think this will end up eventually leading to new speakers, in which case I strongly recommend audition first. If you can manage to get to Chester, there’s a couple of good dealers there once lockdown restrictions get eased.

Roger

Talking about the theoretical possibility of upgrading almost inevitably leads to the actual upgrading much more rapidly than expected.

I think Option 2 will be held back by the cheapo CD player, unless you just want to compare CD to streaming, and that would not be a fair comparison. With Option 1 of course you will not have any access to streaming and the convenience you enjoy.

In terms of SQ, comparing a Nova (streaming) to say CDX2/SN, the only way to know is to find a dealer who is prepared to demo these options (and others?). I think you need to make up your mind if you want to go down the streaming route or stick with CD replay, and stop trying to get the best of both worlds, which will always end up with compromise.

The demo I suggest might help you with that decision and a dealer will be able to cost these options through. The problem will be finding a dealer with a nice ex demo or preloved Naim CD player.

Good luck.

1 Like

If I’m buying a CDX2 secondhand, are there any questions I should ask the seller?

I can see two on eBay at the moment, here and here. The first has a display blemish which I could probably live with, but the second has a lot more information about recent service history.

The Uniti2 already gives me streaming access, so I can still play radio etc with option 1 and could stream if I changed my mind. Just not at the same quality as the CD, but it’s CD replay I’m after and care about; I do not currently do any streaming and don’t anticipate doing so.

Yes, especially in these times. I might contact some of the ones @YetiZone mentioned locally, in case they have any used kit knocking about.

In that case go for Option 1 but remember you will not get anywhere near the best out of a CDX2 without a SN or better still Naim separate pre and power amps. You also will need to think about separate power supplies.

Maybe think of a Naim CD player below the CDX2.

Oh, and don’t buy anything yet until you have visited one or two dealers and heard some alternatives. Sit back and enjoy your Uniti 2 until lockdown ends.

I’d definitely be planning to get the SN as well, just potentially not quite at the same time, as I might need to wait a while if I’m buying secondhand.

It’s all very helpful advice, people, given that I’m just a random on t’interweb.

A CDX2 would be nice, but I think you would find that the cheaper CD5XS was still a very significant step up from the CD player in your Uniti.
If you want to stagger the cost you could just use it into the Uniti while you choose an amp.
Sure, you can then add power supply upgrades later if you want, but in my opinion it’s not essential to do this to get a good sounding Naim system.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.