UNITILITE Display out. Can I connect NAP 200DR with remote only?

Hi everyone,

this is my first request and I hope someone can help me out here, its a nice little problem.

I have a Naim UNITILITE unit that I purchased in Switzerland privately. I now live in Portugal and have started to have problems. The display has stopped working completely recently, but this was not a problem as I used the Naim app on my ipad and everything worked fine. I recently added a NAIM 200DR power amp and this needs a change in the SETUP menu under Speakers Menu (change to external). My problem is that I cannot see the display to make this change. Is there a way for me to make the change with the Remote or an app?

At the moment my beautiful new 200DR can not be coupled to the UNITILITE and this is spoiling my listening pleasure. I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards

Panini

@NeilS might be able to help and tell you what to do. If he doesn’t have a way then it’s going to need a new screen which means back to Salisbury probably.

Best

David

Panini, sorry cannot help you with the problem, but if you do not mind have the question.
How much 200DR adds to SQ of Unitilite ? Is the difference really big ?

You use the remote to get into the setup options. It can only be done with the remote and not the app. Without the screen the only way to do it is to get the manual and work out where you are in the options. Under the amplifier options there are three choices - internal, external or both. I’m assuming you’ve connected the 200 to try it and are getting no output. If that’s the case it’s set to internal.

Hi Panini,

Please understand that this is a combination of “off the top of my head” & what I can find via my computer, as I don’t have a Unitilite at home to play with, so try this entirely at your own risk! Hopefully if I’ve overlooked anything, it won’t cause too many issues.

Select an input other than DAB or FM via the app.
Switch the Unitilite off & back on again (wait a few seconds for it to boot).
Press the spanner button on the remote.
Press the down navi key three times.
Press OK.
Press OK.
Press the down navi key once.
Press OK.
Press the spanner button.

Hopefully that should enable External in the speaker menu.
Alternatively, maybe another Unitilite owner could verify the steps?

Regards
Neil.

Well sorry to bother you Neil because I have a Unitilite which is on 4.6 firmware and if I had thought a bit more, I could have come up with those instructions. Anyway I can confirm that you are completely correct!

Incidentally I selected CD and it took about 30 secs to start up and tell me there was no CD, so I think leaving it 30 secs or more after the restart is wise.
Best

David

1 Like

No worries David - thanks for confirming.

Should give Panini more confidence to give it a try!

Regards
Neil.

Out of interest, why is it necessary to turn it off and turn it on again?

Hi HH,

Purely to ensure that the unit is in the correct “out of set up menu” condition before starting.

Regards
Neil.

A known state basically.

Thanks Neil. It’s of course more important when there is no display.

Dear Neil,

well what can I say but a very big thanks you. I followed your steps and it worked (just had a little variation with the OK and down navi) which did the trick.

What a wonderful set of helpful people there are in the Naim world and the Forum.

I have just had a session with the NAP 200DR and the UNITILITE through ProAc Studio 150s and the transformation is complete. I test drove the NAP 250DR and I cant tell the difference from memory. Both powder amps have the same dramatic effect with my set up in focusing the bass and cutting out any shrill dryness but without losing the dynamics of the system.

I am a happy man and can live without the display.

Best regards to all,

Panini

3 Likes

Hi Panini,

That’s great news - glad it worked out for you.

Enjoy the music!

Regards
Neil.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.