Unitiqute 2 Display

Hello chaps, the display on my UQ2 has been gradually fading and is now so dark that it cannot be read in a well light room (curse this good weather we’re having!) Off the top of my head I don’t know whether or not it is in warranty still but is it an expensive fix if Naim do decide to charge? I assume it’s just a case of sending it to them (I live up the road pretty much so easier than faffing via a dealer). I assume it’s a common issue as a lot of used ones I see for sale appear to have had new displays fitted.

This is a common problem.

You have to go through a dealer. They don’t allow people to send stuff direct (at least they haven’t up until now). If it’s still in warranty they may do it for free, but out of warranty it’s quite an expensive job, though they will give it a service at the same time I believe.

If your dealer is shut currently you could ring Naim technical support and see what they say. You should have the serial number handy and if you can find the date of purchase, that will perhaps be useful, especially if you bought it from new.

Best

David

1 Like

Thanks @davidhendon ( also from me) for the input.
I have one UQ2 with 4 years although everythings Nice so far.
However its good to know whats lying ahead.

Personally i will send for a complete service when the time comes, because i really think that this beautifull shoe box is a future Classic. :muscle:

The key to keeping the displays in these old streamers working properly is to set the auto-off to ten seconds. It is that simple.
Best

David

1 Like

Yes, indeed. I remember been call to attention for this detail in the old Forum.
I have this “option” active ever since… :wink:

1 Like

(Off topic/ sorry OP)
@davidhendon

Dear Sir, while going to your profile page, realize that

A: you have exquisite taste with your diferent systems. (Care to offer me one SU?)
B: nice Cat.
C: is it possible to send PM to another person, instead of doing this? (hijacking threads)

Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

Hi Carduso

Thank you for the compliments. There are two further of my cats you could find in the forum if you wanted!

But sorry, there is no PM facility in the forum.

Best

David

1 Like

I´ve just showed the one in the photo Pets and systems , to my wife and she´s laugh so hard…
Beautiful…

I’ve met David’s cats are they are even more lovely in the fur.

1 Like

As a UQ2 I’m assuming you’ve got the 192 boards (allowing Tidal etc.). If not, sending it back for the upgrade would allow the screen to be effectively fixed for free as part of this upgrade (and not charged for as a separate service).

The uprated streamer board came quite early on, before the original Unitiqute was replaced by the Mk2 version, so I don’t think this would apply here.

Thanks for the replies fellas, i’ve emailed Naim anyway. I think it’s around 400 of our finest pounds to repair which is a bit of a bummer considering a new one is about 650ish on the used market, I haven’t had a cost confirmed it’s just info from a pal so we shall see what they say. I rather like the display being on all the time and given the function exists to do so i’m surprised that it’s recommended to leave it off to avoid failure. Hmmm. It is off for now anyway as it’s barely visible so it doesn’t affect the useage per se it’s just more of an annoyance.

You do need the display to work so you can change one of the many settings that can only be accessed via the remote control.

Best

David

I normally use the phone app to operate it and haven’t noticed any lack of function? I suppose the set up of the unit and entering the wifi passwords etc, haven’t thought of that!

Switching the internal amplifier on and off, or choosing between large and small speakers is one of the key functions for which you need the remote.

I don’t recall seeing a function to switch on or off the internal amp, what effect/benefit would that have? You are quite right though I hadn’t thought of that either, however mine is already set up correctly so it’s not an issue at present.

If you turn off the amplifier it no longer needs to be powered, so maybe the Qute sounds better? It would perhaps save some electric too. Another thing you can switch on or off via the remote is the digital output. It’s all in the manual.

Also if you wanted to do a factory reset, you need to use the remote, although from time to time members here help people to do things by a long list of instructions of key pushes.

The other thing is that without a display the resale value of a UQ2 is probably close to nothing. But with a working display it’s more like £500 or more.

Best

David

Ok guys I get the picture! :crazy_face: I will look into getting it repaired then I guess! :wink:

Do it. And you’re wrong by saying “ new one is about 650ish on the used market“: if is used, it isnt new. :sweat_smile:
( you never know how badly used is a unit on sale)…