Unitiserve 2TB problem

Hi,
Have a problem with my Unitiserve. Logo keeps flashing with an audible beep. Tried re-starting but still doing it.
After searching, issue with power supply seems to be a common issue.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Gordon

Can’t comment on the audible beep, when my logo wouldn’t stop flashing it was the BIOS battery requiring replacement. Couple of considerations if that is the problem, if less than 5 years old should be covered by Naim extended warranty, secondly if not it’s a relatively cheap/easy fix for somebody who knows what they are doing. If it’s not covered by warranty and you return to Naim for repair it will incur the standard repair charge of £340, some dealers will replace for minimal cost.

I owned a UnitiServe 2TB. It’s hard to say exactly what it is, but could very well be the little battery on the board that powers the bios.

If out of warranty (and it may well be as they have not been sold for a few years), it’s worth replacing the battery without sending it to authorized service, to see if that’s it. If that’s not it, it’ll need to go off to service.

At one point my hard drive failed, but there was no beep then - just the flashing logo that would not stop flashing. . . . if memory serves me.

If you have access to a VGA display then you can connect it to the VGA socket on the back of the US and it will show you where in the boot up process it gets to before it gets stuck.

That will help a dealer or Naim support tell you what’s wrong and what needs to happen next.

If he’s not on holiday @NeilS may already be able to advise what’s wrong from your description.

Best
David

1 Like

Thanks David that’s useful information, at least raising the potential issue with your dealer that it may be the battery may go someway to minimising cost of repair.

Hi @Gsr,

A failed CMOS battery isn’t usually accompanied by any audible beep - can you elaborate please?

Is it a definite beep, rather than a “pip”, is it a continuous beep or a beep every 1-2 seconds?

Regards
Neil.

Hi Neil,
It’s a beep every half a second or so.
Gordon

Hi Gordon,

If the beep is relatively low in frequency, I’m afraid that sounds like an HDD failure. The Piezo buzzer on the motherboard will create a continual distress tone if there is a PCI or RAM failure & that tends to be a higher frequency.
Do you have a VGA monitor you can connect to it?

Regards
Neil.

Edit: I now realise that sounded a bit like Basil Fawlty trying to describe the difference between the burglar & fire alarm!

Hi Neil,
Thanks for the reply.
Found a VGA cable so hooked up Unitiserve to laptop. What do I run on the laptop to see what’s going on?
Thanks in advance
Gordon

I think you hook the unitiserve via a vga cable to a display monitor not to a laptop. You should then be able to read any error message.

Yes Trevor is right. You connect the VGA display to the display socket on the back of the Unitiserve and then boot up the Unitiserve. Where it gets stuck and what the display says then is what Neil needs to know.
Best
David

Thanks guys.
Hooked it up to a monitor but still nothing showing on the screen!

Hi Gordon,

When you switch the US on, does the monitor wake from sleep & just show a black screen?

Waking the monitor is key information.

Regards
Neil.

Neil,
Monitor is just showing no signal received!
Gordon

1 Like

Ok, that would suggest a motherboard, RAM or PCI card fault.

I’m afraid its going to require some surgery.

Regards
Neil.

OK thanks Neil

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.