UnitiServe BIOS settings - disable read-only mode

You can move an album to a different genre using any interface - at least on N-Serve, I don’t use the Windows DTC. It’s just that you need to create a new genre elsewhere beforehand.

You cannot create a backup on a USB stick. You really need either a Synology or QNAP NAS (or quite possibly other brands but these are tried and tested and were checked out by Naim in the past.)

I would strongly recommend that you save your rips as FLAC on the Unitiserve. If you copy WAVs to another destination and convert them there you will end up with metadata that non-Naim kit can’t read. If you find that WAVs sound better you can set the Unitiserve to convert FLAC to WAV ‘on the fly’ on playback. This gives you the versatility and reduced file size of FLAC, and the potentially better sound quality of WAV.

SMB1 isn’t safe, but that doesn’t matter in a home LAN if there is no outside access, no potential hostiles inside, and you are not using the SMB1 to connect to anything outside of the LAN. It is, however, an extremely chatty protocol. This means that over wide area networks with latency it becomes very slow due to all the back-and-forth talk between hosts. Again, in a LAN with low latency and for the music streaming purpose this does not matter, but, in case you are suffering from the wide-spread network-noise-pollutes-my-streamer paranoia, it’s not ideal for that :slight_smile: (Will it matter? Probably not)

No worries, the only thing I am paranoid about is sound quality :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.