Unitiserve: DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

It’s a Micro ATX board.
The more modern ones have different outputs, but they tend to come with a blanking panel.
I think Naim may have removed some of the sockets (ie. the audio & headphone jacks) to fit their SPDIF daughterboard.
The Naim case itself is the same width as my Dell micros (eg. 7050m), but the Dells are a proprietary variation based on the ATX and have a different layout.
I think it’ll need a bit of fettling to fit one.
It’ll also need a momentary push on/off button on the back panel in place of the on/off switch.
The US has a capacitance operated off switch integrated into the Naim logo, but it’s questionable whether that will work with a replacement board.
The good thing is that the entire back 2/3 of the case is a void, so there’s no obstructions when putting a replacement in.

@Roog succeeded to put a streamer into a cassette deck.
So a pc ripper within the Unitserve casing should be possible.

5 Likes

Yes I put a momentary switch in the back of it, it was very basic but I have like 19 left if you want one!

1 Like

That’s not untethered installation media. They supply recovery images which are tied to the motherboard and hard drive combination. If you change either with something of a different part number, the media generally will fail to install. It gets tricky when original drives are no longer available.

In recent years, they link it more specifically to the ID of the motherboard to allow you to at least clone the hard drive to a newer model for upgrade. There was a time not too long ago where even that was impossible and booting on the new drive resulted in an “invalid license” error.

It looks like the path of least resistance is to ditch the obsolete Naim compute componentry and replace it with something more up to date; I’m discussing it in the (Naim - Tips, Tweaks and Mods) Facebook group.

This one should be way simpler - I just want a UPnP network server without the replay capability.

1 Like

Hi David, would you happen to have a bookmark for those instructions on the pairing process? I tried to search for it and checked unitiserve related posts from @NeilS @Stevesky of the past 5 years but could not find it.

Backstroy: Basically I have a dead unitiserve and was considering buying another one to clone the hdd. My old hdd is really dead, even tried swapping the control board, transferring the EPROM on there, but to no avail. So only thing I have is a dump of the flash…

They aren’t instructions on the pairing process, but rather an explanation that there is such a thing by Naim. I think the explanation was in the context of the HDX not the Unitiserve, but it’s just the same.

And it was all bookmarked recently in an HDX thread. Sorry I don’t have the link, but you will find it easily if you look in the recent HDX threads.

1 Like

If the hard drive is did how do you intend to clone it?

1 Like

The drive in the donor unit will already be paired to the MAC address of its motherboard & that cannot be changed.
Any clones taken from that drive will bear that ident.
It will work, but you’ll end up with two units with the same ident.

Regards
Neil.

2 Likes

Thanks I will do a search, did not know they were running the same internals.

From a donor unit indeed, I would try to make a bit perfect clone of the data in the partitions, but recognise some HDD parameters are coded in the HDD firmware itself, not the disc contents.

Ok clear on that. So with that and if I understand correctly: it would work if they are not on the same network (like one at home, one at the office), but not if they are part of the same network as they would not be uniquely identifiable by the apps/my other naim equipment, correct?

FWIW I had an NS02 back in the day and did a bit perfect clone of a perfectly functioning drive (platter to ssd) it worked for about 24 hours then failed, firstly dropped off the network then would not boot.

I cloned again to a different ssd, using a different PC, same outcome.

I think something is running a check occasionally or I just got super unlucky but as the software and rips reside on the same disk its going to be a challenge indeed.

1 Like

I haven’t personally tried doing it, but you can change the upnp device name, so a streamer could differentiate between them. But DTC & the app wouldn’t be able to.
From what Gary says above, the whole venture may be doomed to fail!

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

Thanks @garyi & @NeilS for the extra info! I decided to take the plunge on another working unitiserve which I will pick up today and I will try it out to clone it to another HDD, and will try to match as close as I can to the original disk. Had my share of mixed results migrating from HDD → SSD in old hardware and even modern PCs using cloning, so hope that way I can take out that potential cause for issues.

Also may I asked which software you used for the clone?

Gosh we are talking like 10 years ago so I don’t remember

I did some recent clones around UnitiServe and simply attached disks to a laptop running Ubuntu and used dd