Unitiserve firmware 1.7c

Just before Christmas I posted regarding s/w updates to both UnitiQute2 and UnitiServe. I downloaded the latest for the UnitiQute2 and sorted that out easily enough. However, I had to request the latest version 1.7c for the UnitiServe from Naim directly. They’ve now furnished me with the disk but no instructions are included. Do I just pop it in the UnitiServe and it just does it’s thing or do I use the Naim app? Thanks in advance.

You put it into the Unitiserve. It will spin up, read it for a while (about a minute) and then it will eject the disc. You take the disc out and wait. Keep an eye on the US Naim logo. After maybe 5 or 10 minutes the logo light will start to flash. Leave it alone and after another minute or two the light will stop flashing and come on steady. You may now be able to see the Unitiserve in the network. Wait until you can and then check that you have the latest firmware version using About in the nserve app or whatever you use to control the US.

The instructions for earlier firmware upgrades told you that once you were sure the Unitiserve had updated by the logo light stopping flashing, then you should shut down your Unitiserve the proper way and then turn the back panel power switch off and on again, after which the Unitiserve should restart normally and in due course be ready for action again. I know some people found they didn’t have to do this step, but I thought it worth doing so you know what state everything is in.

Best

David

1 Like

What does that mean David?

I posted a reply on a similar thread a few days ago, suggest you take a look. After inserting the CD it spat it out after a minute or so, but then did nothing. For some reason though it disappeared from the network. After 15 minutes or so I reinserted the disc and it read it and updated correctly. In my case no need to reboot the US, I could see from the app that it had updated to 1.7c.

Presumably you know that you should only turn off the Unitiserve by pressing the front panel logo which will then flash and eventually turn off. You then can switch the rocker switch on the back to off.

To restart it, you just switch the rocker switch to on. The logo will start to flash after a few seconds and it will take a minute or two for the flashing to stop. Once the logo is steady, it’s ready to go.

This process is just like you shut down a windows PC in a particular way and not by just pulling the power chord.

Best

David

It’s certainly useful to know that, but it is supposed to work the way I describe and it has worked that way the couple of firmware updates I did on my unitiserve, including 1.7c

Best

David

Well I’ll give it a go once I’ve had dinner and report back. I’ve just had a look on nServe and I can’t see anywhere to unmount the UnitiServe from the network though.

These are Naim’s instructions for installing 1.7b. They are the same for 1.7c, so they still apply, although if you follow David’s advice above I’ sure you’ll be fine.

(You can obviously ignore the bit about burning a disc if Naim have posted you one.)

The instructions Chris has posted are for HDX. For some reason Naim never bothered to do a Unitiserve version, but it’s basically the same process, (but with less feedback!)

You don’t have to unmount the Unitiserve from the network before doing the upgrade.

Best

David

I’m struggling to find which version of firmware the UnitiServe is currently. In the nServe app the Select Server is showing “No servers found”. The UnitiServe works fine so not sure what that’s about.

If the US is playing music then it must be on the network, so might be worth just rebooting nServe and the device it’s running on. Once nServe is working, just still down to settings, at the bottom you should both the app version and the server version.

Correction to my post above. It appears the US in NOT on the network. I can’t see it on the UQ2. I could a couple of days ago and so I’ve obviously disconnected it somehow. It’s all plumbed in so looks like I’ll have to re-install it first. It appears to not want to go into standby (ie holding the logo for 5 seconds) as it looks like you aren’t supposed to just power it down from the back.

You aren’t supposed to by just turning it off at the back but if you can’t shut it down by holding the logo for a few seconds, then you have to just turn it off and then on again. It shouldn’t matter doing it like that occasionally.

As it’s off-line and you can’t get it to respond to holding the logo, the first thing to try is indeed just turn it off using the rocker switch in the back, wait five seconds and then turn it on again. You then have to wait until the flashing logo stops flashing…

Best

David

Right. I’ve got it back online and confirmed the version is 1.7b. I’ve inserted the disk and it ejected a very short time later. It’s now sitting there with the logo lit up steady which it has been for several minutes and I can’t see it on the nServe app again anymore so presumably it’s doing the update. I have no visual indication if it’s completed the firmware upgrade though. This seems to be the same experience of @PBenny it would seem. I’ll leave it half an hour and if it doesn’t re-appear then I’ll put the disk in again.

Update: The logo is now flashing so looks like it may be updating after all.

All good. 1.7c showing up without having to re-boot but I’ve re-booted just to make sure no other issues. Thanks for your help chaps.

Regards,
Ian

If you read the Naim instructions that Chris posted, it specifically tells you not to put the disc in again. So please don’t do that, notwithstanding what PBenny says. He got away with it. You might not.

Best

David

1 Like

Oh very good news.

Best

David

1 Like

You can download Version 1.7c Software from the German Distributor music—line.
https://www.music-line.biz/cms/Software.778.0.html

1 Like

Thanks David - had no idea that the instructions said that, seems like I may have been lucky. As they say, if all else fails, read the instructions !

Best,
Paul

1 Like

CD’s are ripping a lot quicker now.