UNITISERVE + NAC 272 connection

Hi, Non-techy here so… I connected my US via ethernet cable to my WiFi hub, and an optical cable direct from US to the 272. I thought (wrongly) the ethernet was to get album info from the Internet and the audio data would go directly fron US to 272 via optical , until I noticed the optical cable had fallen out and everything still worked. So I assume the music data travels through the ethernet cable to the hub then back to the 272 via its WiFi.
If so, is this the best solution for audio quality or will another cable from the hub to the 272 be better, or can I go direct from US to 272, any thoughts please? yours, confused :confused:

You must consider the US as a server on the network, serving music files via UPnP to e.g. the 272 which is also connected to the network.

When ripping CD’s, the US uses also the ethernet connection to retrieve cover art and other album info from the internet.

Some here prefer to connect the digital output from the US to one of the digital inputs on the 272 via coax or an optical cable … I have no experience with this approach, so others might step in here.

1 Like

With the direct SPDIF connection you would need to use the N-Serve app to control the Unitiserve rather than the Naim app. So yes, you will have been using the network connection. The US needs the Ethernet cable in any case so unless you find the direct connection to sound better there’s little point in using it.

1 Like

Most will say the US sounds better through the network rather than the spdf connection.
Although some network setups can be better than others which can affect the quality, with some folk spending a lot of time, effort and cost with all sorts of complexities.
If that appeals.
Or you can use the BNC output, which should offer better quality than the optical output into the 272 dac input.

1 Like

Indeed, but as for the optical connection, you need the Naim n-serve app to control the playback rather than the normal Naim app.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.