Unitiserve not being seen on network

Hi Gary, no it is new to me (used) - 4 days, I am trying to get it to work for the first time.
I have connected the US directly via VGA to a monitor that I have, and get the main menu screen, but I will have wait untill I get my PS2 keyboard and mouse adapters (in the mail) to navigate and then see what I can find out.
Once I get into the Direct menu I will post my findings - thanks again to all with help/sugestions.
Mark

OK where did you borrow the ipad from, or more accurately did it already have nserve on it?

(I am trying to establish why its looking for a device at a specific location)

Also what is the make of your ISP router?

My experience with a previously owned Unitiserve tells me that using the pc client on the same router as the US will give the best outcome for first connection.
The client should not show any previous connection information. If it does delete that old connection info. With the US turned on, Naim logo flashing, then stopped flashing, run the client scan. If nothing found then the US is not picking up a dhcp addy.
Download Fing. Run Fing and see if the US is showing. Again if not there it isnā€™t on the network. Game over. Send back to Naim for fixing.

That isnā€™t how n-serve on an ipad works! It scans the subnet and identifies any Unitiserve, HDX etc it sees and you can then scroll and highlight the one you want (if there is more than one) and press connect, which it then does. If the US is offline you donā€™t see an old ip address. You just get a message ā€œno servers foundā€ or similar wording.

Best

David

That isnā€™t necessarily game over. The suggestion of trying to find out the subnet by trial and error is entirely viable. Itā€™s most likely going to be a common subnet so itā€™s not a big job to try a few.

NetAnalyzer which has already been suggested in this thread is much the same as Fing incidentally.

Best

David

Well I am not so sure about that back in the day I had an NS02 and changed router the NS was a fixed ip in the 192.168.1.0 range and the router was 0.0

IP tool did not help in this case so I had to set router to 0.0 in order to discover the naim and set it to dhcp.

Hence why I am wonder why the ipad is looking for a device. Mt hunch is he has borrowed an ipad that already had nserve for someone else on it. (We to me its the only answer as its trying to find a specific device)

But yes Fing etc are not going to work in this instance, I think the naim device is on the wrong subnet. Or its knackered.

Yes but even so, n-serve on an iPad doesnā€™t remember IP addresses of previously seen serversā€¦

Well itā€™s a mystery then.

Ipad had been factory reset and had never had n-serve on it.

I have managed to get the attached information by connecting a mouse/tv directly to the US -
I dont know if any of this helps?

![20210506_1530141|375x500]

I still get this message from the DTC ā€œfailed to connect with hard disc player located at 10.0.0.246: destination host file unreachableā€ why is it looking there?

Pinging the IP address 192.168.1.135 doesnt reply

OK, so your device has an ip address. Is your iPad defo on the same network as your serve. i.e. you dont have a guest network for wifi or anything like that?

The IP address is static but it has access to the internet. The DNS is open dns. I suspect the fixed IP is where you have an issue.

In short I think your static address does not fit in the subnet of your local area network. BUt the easiest way to know is what is your router in use?

Or on the ipad pull up settings then the wifi then click on the wifi its connected to, what IP does the ipad have.

This is an easy fix. Your serve is not busted.

If the items on your current network do not have ip addresses 192.168.1.xxx then they are on a different network ie if they start 192.168.0.xxx therefore the serve will not be found.

To the OP.
What is the IP address of your pc?

My PC IP address is 10.0.0.226
Ipad is is connected to wifi IP 10.0.0.20

Ok, now we can see the cause of the problem. The unitiserve is at an address that the rest of the network cant see. Network are all in one street, your untiserve is in another town.

My knowledge runs out there as I am not familiar with the way your Apple network functions, nor whether the unitiserve can be allocated an address on the same subnet.

Hopefully someone with Apple network knowledge can help.

My way of testing the problem would be to look at the router set up and see if adresses or subnets could be set on there. If so I would allocate a 192.168.1.x subnet range for the dhcp sever and go from there.

Yes as surmised your serve is on the wrong network. Really the way to do this is set your router to the range of the serve then you can use iptool to capture it and set to dhcp.

Itā€™s not hard but if you are not into IT then itā€™s is difficult easiest thing would be do you have a spare or old router anywhere if so I can give you my whatsapp and walk you through it, or send the serve to Naim or me, itā€™s not difficult

So despite the fact that itā€™s not working, your US has what appears to be a conventional IP address (192.168ā€¦ā€¦) that a DHCP server would typically give it, and it claims to have an internet connection despite the IP address being fixed, presumably by a previous owner.

The IP addresses you give for your computer an iPad are private addresses (10.0.0ā€¦ā€¦) so it seems to me that you have an issue with these not being allocated proper IP addresses bt the server?

Apple routers for some reason use the 10.0.0 protocol sadly the OP still has not told us what his router is.

Unusual how the serve states it has internet access.