UnitiServe not in Finder

Sadly where there is an issue with SMB and older devices versus new devices with later SMB protocols is that trying to access as a guest does not always work.

Richard, did you mean to say that I should or should not be connecting as guest ?

If I type the host name NSSRV42DB into Safari I don’t get anything. If it enter the UServe’s ip address I get the web interface, from which the screenshots above were taken.

If I enter the host name into Go>Conect to Server, I get the same result as entering its ip address. It tries to connect but then fails at the login stage.

Tried entering hostname as the user name, login fails.

Chris - I think the other Core is David Hendon’s, we plugged my devices into his network yesterday. My Core still couldn’t see the UServe, and neither could his Core see it.

Not sure about the third unnamed folder, not sure if its relevant or not.

Keep the ideas coming !

Paul

That is indeed my Core and the Thinkpad is mine too.

Best

David

So, have just updated one Mac to Catalina (this was the only thing the Apple helpdesk could suggest after 2 hours of trying), but no change…

My non-IT brain can’t comprehend how the UServe can see the Core, and play files from it, but the Core cannot see the UServe.

I think, to put it in non-IT terms, it’s because if your US says to your Core “let me see your files” the Core says “OK here they are”.

But if your Core says to your US “let me see your files” the US declines the request.

Best

David

Definitely guest with no password.

Paul,

I was having a problem seeing my UnitiServe in Finder and I am on Catalina on my MacBook. Not sure if we have the same problem but Will from Naim suggested the following to me, not sure if you have already tried this but here it is:

@NigelB we’ve been able to connect a Mac running Catalina to UnitiServe’s shares using the following method:

1. Open Finder
  2. Go -> Connect to server
  3. You are then given the option to select a share , or you can enter:

smb://<IP>/Music
or
smb://<IP>/Downloads

Where <IP> is the IP address of the UnitiServe

Could you try this and let me know if it works for you?

Thanks,
Will

PS, Check that File Sharing is enabled on your Mac: System Preference>Sharing>File Sharing ticked. Apologies if this is not relevant to your issue.

If I were you, I would want to know what that folder was, as I think there should only be two - Music and Downloads, and in the proprietary world of Naim servers, anything that isn’t supposed to be there might cause unexpected problems.
I can’t see how that would be relevant to this Unitiserve discovery issue (which I have not experienced on my Mac) but maybe worth looking into it anyway.

Isn’t that just the root which has two folders in it, downloads and Music? It’s relevant because when you back up the Core, it backs up both downloads and music, so the Core shares the root with a NAS for example?

Best

David

Hi Will,
thanks for reaching out - have tried the Go>Connect to server but doesnt work on either of my Macs. File sharing enabled on the Mac, including SMB sharing.

Are you still having problems connecting to Serve ?

Paul

It was Will who reached out to me (Nigel) and I forwarded to you as you seemed to have the same problem as me.

The problem has gone (not sure if enabling File Sharing fixed it) but I have found this problem to be intermittent, so I am not counting my chickens.

I am no expert so don’t know what to suggest next. I know how frustrating this issue is and I hope you get it sorted.

Possibly, but it seems odd that it’s shown as a share, yet your Core only has the Music and Downloads folders listed.

Yes I noticed that. I have never set my Core to backup to a NAS (I just use a USB hard drive). But I don’t know whether Paul has introduced his Core to his NAS yet.

Best

David

Try force quitting finder then try connecting again

Thanks Gary, have rebooted the Mac and forced quit more times than I remember, unfortunately doesn’t help…

Since there are two issues here, not being able to see the Unitiserve in Mac and the Core not being able to see the Unitiserve as a share, it feels like there is a configuration issue in the Unitiserve.

N-serve for Mac doesn’t give you as intimate an access to the US as the Windows DTC, at least that is my impression, but anyway it might be worth scouting the Unitiserve settings to see whether there is anything there that might be wrongly set.

If you haven’t fixed it by the end of this new lockdown, you could then bring it back to mine and we could try with the Windows DTC on my old Thinkpad.

Best

David

On a Mac I find that it’s best to use the browser interface rather than N-Serve for changing any settings. In fact there are some settings that don’t work at all in N-Serve (and never have) and these need to be done in the browser.
I can’t, off the top of my head, think of any setting that might be relevant to this particular issue though.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.