Unitiserve Print out

Does anybody know if it is possible to print out a list of the albums stored on a Unitiserve and if it is how o do it It would be even better if it was also possible to link them to the artists as well

I once asked Naim if I could do this. The response was blank amazement as if to ask why would you want to. Surprising as it would seem to be an obvious need to have a record of your albums - if only not to duplicate items when there are lots. In the end I labouriously took screenshots, created pdfs, copied to a spreadsheet and tidied up. Their needs to be a better way. I hope someone can help.

That is the exact reason I want to make a print out of the albums/artists as I have over 2000 CDs on mine so far and like you said it is getting difficult to remember them all and I don’t want to keep returning albums when I find I already have them. I would like to think that it would not be that difficult and hopefully somebody out there knows how to do it

It only takes a few minutes scrolling down through ALBUMS on the N-Serve app.

Depending on your OS (Windows, OS X) there are ways to export file names in folders to Excel, text files, etc. Google those up.

If you’re connected to your home network I can’t see how a paper copy could possibly be any easier than looking up albums on N-Serve, where you can easily look them up alphabetically or by artist.
If you want to see the list when you’re not at home, fair enough, perhaps someone can think of a way you could transfer the lists to a document.

I know that but it does not work when I am in a record shop and not connected to my unitiserve Hence the need for a paper copy I try to support my local record stores and not buy on line

Good point.
I used to take a copy of “Record Collector” magazine with me to the better record stores to compare prices, so not an uncommon sight of someone flicking through something else other than what’s on the shelf. :grinning: :grinning:

The iOS N-Serve app caches the info when not connected to the Unitiserve, at least for a while. How long it remains available seems to vary between different users, but it may be worth checking how this works for you if you haven’t already.

That is my problem with it now ChrisSU at one stage as long as I sync’d before going out it would be there all the time but with some of the OS updates as soon as I am out of my home wifi hub all the data has gone and my memory being not as good as it was I just cannot seem to remember some of the albums I have (well there are 2000 odd) on the unitiserve on top of over 40 years worth of vinyl collecting its just getting a bit much for the old brain cell

Again - why would you want a paper version of it?
After all, one can only use a UnitiServe at home and a tablet is needed to cotroll it. So the entire library is there…

As already stated above because when I am in a record shop it is nice to know if I already have an album or not When you own several thousand albums on CDs remembering them all can be very difficult and I am not even mentioning well over twice as many vinyl albums

The issue is not when you are at home, but when you’re out. I like browsing in record stores and have sometimes seen CDs that make me go ‘That looks interesting’ only to find when I get home that I already have it. This can arise because CDs can be issued in different versions with different covers over the years. To have a list on Excel, Word or a database on your phone would be really useful. A list would also be useful for insurance purposes. Surely this is not too much to expect.

If you have the patience, you can use Discogs to scan and catalogue your music collection. Never bothered with it myself, but it lets you put a complete list of albums on an iPhone app.

For insurance purposes I have always maintained an Excel workbook. I keep one copy and regularly update a copy I email to a friend. Should we suffer fire, flood and especially theft it’s then possible to ascribe a clear, inarguabke monetary value.

My friend also gives me a copy of his list. He did unfortunately need to make a claim and that lust was the difference between a successful claim for 4,000 albums and not.

It’s generally been held that digital doesn’t really exist unless there are at least 3 copies but I think it is, at best, naive to assume that tech is your friend and solves everything. It really doesn’t.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.