Unitiserve Problem

I don’t know how the UnitiServe schedules all its internal PC workings but it has certainly given me a couple of frights by how long things can take on it.

The flashing logo on restart can certainly take a long time if the US is doing a rebuild database; this can take place if something has corrupted it or, as with me, when I converted to Flac and I pressed the rebuild Db button on the desktop client - note that the rebuild only happens when the US is restarted.
So hopefully letting the logo flash for a good while will eventually allow the rebuild to complete and you will get a nice steady logo - that is what happened to me anyway.

I also found that after doing a lot of metadata changes to genres the scheduled incremental NAS backup took over a day for the 300 odd albums concerned - either some really slow processing or poor use of the PC scheduler.

Interesting info re the battery (wherever that is), hadn’t heard about this before.

Allan

It’s the battery that backs up the CMOS that holds the BIOS. Remember the Unitiserve is basically a computer that runs embedded windows XP.

I don’t know what the battery type is but it’s presumably a CR2032 or similar. No big deal, but they don’t last forever.

No big deal - Except that the cost of repair is way out of proportion to the labour and parts charged when fixed by Naim.

Agree with this, £340 to get a battery changed under “warranty” is indeed steep, my dealer was embarrassed with the charge and reduced it by £50. Naim offered a couple of free powerlines when I complained, I impolitely refused.
The Unitiserve has now been traded.

How does the BIOS reset work? I have not found anything on it… Is it necessary always when I change the battery?
My UServe sometimes doen‘t start, too. And even if it starts, it cannot rip cds. When I open the unit I thought, that any connection to the cd drive doesn’t work correctly. And I thought that this is the reason for not getting started. Can this effect be caused by the battery, too?
Thank you
Stephan

Naim doesn’t publish the details and I don’t know what you have to do exactly, but you connect a keyboard and a VGA display to the Unitiserve and change the settings in the same way that you would with a PC. Best ask a dealer though.
Best

David

Phil Harris (Naim technical support) used to arrange to log on remotely and fix things. It is possible the admin password is kept secret!

Phil

Thank you. Meanwhile I replaced the battery. During the next start I used an external screen and keyboard. In the starting options there was the possibility to restore the NAIM settings. And it started… I will see whether the was the reason for my ripping and starting problems - it would be great.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.