Unitiserve software version?

Thanks Chris, I thought it might be something more serious…it’s still flashing this morning.

It’s been very reliable thus far despite some of the well documented issues some owners have endured. I will hale my dealer here in Oslo, it will probably require a trip back to Salisbury.

This could just be a dead battery, in which case you should ask your dealer if they are able to replace it rather than sending it to Salisbury.

I agree with Chris. If you have access to a VGA monitor, you can plug it into the back of the US, restart it and then see at what point in the startup it hangs.

Changing the battery is simple to do if you would be confident about doing it in a PC. It’s the same steps basically. You would also need a PS2 keyboard to tell the Unitiserve to use the default Naim bios settings. If your dealer can’t help, a Naim colleague @NeilS often advises people on how to make the change if they would have some difficulty getting their unit back to Salisbury.

Best

David

Thanks David, I will try this first.

You can use a USB keyboard, which will be easier to find I would think.

I haven’t heard that you can use a USB keyboard for this diagnostic purpose. No doubt once the US has booted up you can, but if it stalls on boot up, the USB may not yet be enabled?
Best

David

I realised after I posted that I hadn’t done it with my old UnitiServe but I had replaced the battery and used a USB keyboard with a HDX.

Well no harm in trying with Unitiserve. But when Neil has told people here how to do it, he always says PS2 keyboard,

Best

David

If only it was an Apple bus keyboard, now that would be a challenge😀

Hi David,

The only reason I advise PS2 is because that’s what we’ve always used at HQ. I’ve never tried a USB keyboard, but if it works on an HDX (as stated above), then it should work on U/S too.

It is simply a case of setting the time & date in Standard CMOS features, load Naim defaults, then save & exit.

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

Posting this in case it might be useful for others updating their Unitiserve…

I have a US 2TB and requested the update disc from NAIM support who were superb, disc arrived 2 days after asking.

After inserting the disc the US read the disc and then ejected it after a minute or so. And then…nothing. No flashing logo or restarts.

After watching it nervously for about 15 minutes, it then disappeared from the network, but with a constant logo light. I decided to reload the disc. Thankfully it reread the disc, spat it out, and then proceeded to reboot.
Firmware version successfully updated to 1.7c.

Good luck…Paul

1 Like

You can download Version 1.7c Software from the German Distributor music—line.
https://www.music-line.biz/cms/Software.778.0.html

I would like to know what upnp software the Unitiserve has on board … To me sonically it looks a lot like the synology mediaserver … But I’m curious to know what is inside Unitiserve

It uses Naim’s own UPnP server.

In your opinion, is it better or worse than mediaserver or twonky or Minimserver?

Minimserver is much more versatile and suits many Classical music listeners better. For me, the Naim server on the Unitiserve is enough for my needs. I don’t use Twonky or Synology mediaserver, so you’ll have to ask somebody else about them.

Can you download the latest firmware onto a usb key and insert that into the US or does it only work by a cd disk? I don’t have a CD burner anymore.

You need a CD. Naim can post you one, or maybe your dealer or local distributor if you are outside the UK.

Luckily I still can use the burner in my laptop but it’s more difficult to find blank CD. CD-RW in my case works. I updated my U/S to ver 1.7c and also helped my friend to to update from ver 1.5b.
Naim does not allow to update straight from 1.5b but have to go thru 1.6n, 1.6d, 1.6g, 1.7a, 1.7b, 1.7c :frowning:
I’m using VGA-HDMI converter so I can see the updating progress.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.