Unresponsive/inconsistent On/Off Display option on Atom following latest update

But how does the music sound? Never used to have a display…

I couldn’t agree more. If I decide while listening music that I want the display on, then it shall remain on without requiring any further interaction with the remote or the app, no matter for how long it’s has been on, it shall remain until I decide to turn it off again.
On the other way around, I find it makes sense for the display to go off after 2 hours when watching tv for example, I’m among the users who uses the Atom for tv sound. And only in this case, I found the automatic display off feature useful (to me its useless and distractingto see “HDMI” always on while using the unit that way)
But for music, I’d prefer to have the choice to indefinitely have it on or off without touching my remote or the app once the feature is disabled once.

I don’t know why naim implemented this new feature that way but it is certainly not what I personally had in mind when I called for it.

2 Likes

This is exactly the same behavior I’m experimenting.
To me, the feature is not operating “naturally”
And from a sound perspective, I did not notice any improvement at all and to be franked did not expect one no matter the display status

The display implementation has never been brilliant imo, would have been nice if you could simply select on or off via the remote with perhaps an option in the app to switch off regardless after say 10 secs. Also would have been nice to have the option to view the track info display constantly - a three way toggle on the remote perhaps - on/off/track info. The clock could also have had the option to display permanently. It’s all a bit under utilised.

2 Likes

Totally agree. To me the user should have the choice to choose from a set of of options : display always off, display always on, auto off after a predetermined time elapsed, and the choice for information to be displayed.

The display enabling or disabling has no impact on the sound, to my ears. Which is fine because I did notice that the latest firmware update did improve the sound a lot.

Well, we agree at last. Could not think of any sensible reason why having a display displaying music information switched off after 2 hours automagically in contradiction with user settings. Does Naim think that it’s time to go to bed then ? Hope they revert this strange functionality in the next upgrade.

It is a pity that such a beautiful display is not being used to its full potential. That’s maybe because of technical limitations of the display itself, I’m no expert.
But as far as I remember my UQ2 display, if not perfect, was far more flexible in giving me the choice for what information I wanted to be displayed.
I still love my Atom though, it really sound fabulous, but I also think naim should maybe re-think its display possibilities.

2 Likes

My Atom display also refuses to wake regardless of pressing any button on the remote or on the unit itself. Only off/on brings it back.

Hugely frustrating.

Naim, please fix this.

To be clear, this started happening after the latest firmware update.

Try hard restart. Fiemware update is gilty.

1 Like

Naim have told me that are looking into the issue as a priority.

Very odd, not seeing any such issues, I flip flop from bubbleupnp to the Naim app and it is rock solid, at last i have no screen freeze issues requiring a power cycle.

Since a few weeks I am also experiencing issues with the display. Sometimes it works (playing music through Roon) and sometimes the screen blanks (mainly with Internet Radio). I have not yet tried a hard reset as I don’t think you can do this from the app??? I have reported the issue to Naim and the feedback I got is that a new firmware version is now being tested that should solve this and other issues.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.