Unwanted Radio Through Nait 5si

I might just take you up on that very astute suggestion, Richard.

Does anyone know where I might purchase a pair of ferrets in Brighton? Should I be thinking of a pet shop supplying exotic animals, or would I be better advised to go to my friend’s allotment and try to trap a breeding pair myself?

Anyway, back to the music. A fascinating edition of Radio 3’s essential Building A Library on at the moment, choosing five essential Beethoven recordings (an impossible task, I think).

Go to the right part of the countryside and you’re bound to find farmers walking about with ferrets down their trousers.

Well Thanks for the suggestions and humor.

Funny story we were looking for a pet in the last couple years. I am very allergic to cats and dogs so we needed to go the alternate pet route. Ferrets were on this list to be considered. Ended up with a pet rabbit.

As far as ferrites go I am familiar with their use.

If I can get the Nait working through the headphone socket with no AM Radio interference, I was then going to go down the Speaker Cable Path. I happen to Like Chord Cable. The Clearway interconnect sounds really good to me. If my Analysis Plus BO12 cables also ended up being a problem I was going to try the shielded Chord ClearwayX speaker cable, although I believe I have some ferrites around, which I’d try first.

I also have a DIN to RCA cable made by a company called Moon Audio. I took it out long ago because it seemed to make the problem worse. If my DAC is an issue I also have a Rega DAC I could try.

I’m about to be away for two weeks for work, but I will report back at some point.

1 Like

This lad would like a word with you

3 Likes

@Thomas is the resident room treatment guy. Perhaps he can advise on the benefits of adding Ferrets :joy::joy:

According to my music history teacher, Beethoven wrote only 3 symphonies: the 3rd, the 5th and the 9th.

Your music teacher obviously never heard Carlos Kleiber conduct Beethoven’s Seventh. Thrilling on vinyl conducting the Vienna PO , but also conducting the London Symphony Orchestra at the Festival Hall in one of my outstanding musical experiences many years ago now.

1 Like

That’s spot on, he greatly dislikes Kleiber indeed!

Then he shouldn’t be teaching music.

I’d almost agree with him, but I’d make it four: 3, 5, 7 & 9. How could you miss out on ‘the apotheosis of the dance’?

Mark

1 Like

Not all ferrite chokes are equal. You want to:

• Place them on the signal terminating ends closest to the unit.
  • Ensure you get the type rated for RF bands 150Khz - 45Mhz or thereabouts to cover the AM/SW/LW/VHF spectrum.

The good news is they are cheap. I use them judiciously throughout. I buy bags of Matlab ones and just buy 5 sizes of 10 chokes each. They are fairly benign since all they do is increase inductance which should cause common mode noise to cancel out. There are a few of on here who use them throughout.

Worth noting if the signal is really strong, or the signal is not coming in via the cable but somewhere else (such as the case), then they might not help - but they are seriously cheap so no reason not to try.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.