Update: Going from NDX/XPS to ND5 XS2

Is the network configured identically to how is was when the NDX was working wired?

Is the wireless a different subnet to wired?

Best not to show it, but unless it is a camera or other sensitive device then not much to worry about. A mac address can be found by any hacker if they were so minded as it is included in network packets whenever you connect to the internet.

Re the Fing app. Thanks for the pointer, I hadn’t come across that one. So impressed with its simple functionality and it’s synchronisation across platforms - PC, Android etc I’m signing up for a year premium.

1 Like

Thanks Bruss, and thanks @JimDog for pointing it out. I know the internal IP is ok but hasn’t realised about the Mac, though once Jim posted I had my suspicions and edited the post. I’m a bit clueless at times! I’m glad you like Fing, it was recommended to me by someone here.

I’m intrigued to know if Fing and the Find Room help to restore the ND5XS2 to life.

1 Like

I have one of the Ciscos. I completely forgot about that step. I will try again once I get back home. Thank you for your example as well! WIll let you know.

Everything has been the same. It is a different subnet than wired, as I use a Google Home with their satellites (mesh system) throughout the upper floor and my music room. It has posed no issues in the past using it this way. Would I have to sync the app and the rest the same? I use the mesh system to pull a strong wifi signal, otherwise I fear the signal from the router to reach my room is dicey, at best. Thanks!

Perhaps Mesh WiFi is the problem here. Here a post from another thread:

CrystalGipsy

Sep '19

On some mesh devices not sure about Google ones the wired ports operate on a different subnet. This can lead to discovery issues of the device by apps such as Naims app or other upnp software and Roon. I also think Googles block some multicast communication on the wifi that can also cause this. Out of all the mesh systems Googles are the ones with most support questions. If in the US or Canada I would go for Eero they are the class leader and have great support.

2 Likes

It’s not mesh WiFi as such that’s the issue, more that configuring any type of ‘extra’ WiFi can introduce two subnet that confuse discovery. I can’t explain why the NDX worked though, unless your control device happened to be connected to the router WiFi if it were still switched on…

If you have one of the Google mesh points in the same room as the ND5 XS2, I think I’d try wiring it directly to the mesh point. If that works, you could then try reintroducing the Cisco.

1 Like

I can’t comment, just wanted to share as a regular reader here, who read sometimes problems with Mesh Wifi.
@CrystalGipsy can comment.
I found it useful to share, before the OP decides to sent the Nd5xs2 back, which is perhaps not the problem.

2 Likes

I doubt it’s anything to do with WiFi. Rebooting the whole caboodle including the switch, which wasn’t rebooted before, will likely sort it out.

1 Like

Why? It’s a likely root cause, and I’ve seen the same issue in many posts across several forums.

1 Like

I just don’t think it is in this case. It worked happily with the old player. Let’s see what transpires.

2 Likes

The cheap old Netgear GS105 doesn’t need restarting in this situation. You really do fit and forget. It just always works.

Best

David

1 Like

Same with EE 8Switch. It just works regardless of any scenario. You don’t even have to wait for it to boot up, it works almost instantly.

2 Likes

Most switches are like that.

My PoE Ciscos are set and enjoy.

Anyway, I hope everything gets sorted out for the OP.

Perhaps a factory reset of the streamer is required?

As well as refresh of the app, and rebooting everything from the router onwards?

1 Like

The OP has already tried all those to no effect. Seems a bit strange as their wifi is working ok.

Time to contact the dealer then?

1 Like

It’s more likely to be a ‘different subnet’ issue than a faulty streamer…
op needs to eliminate that first…

1 Like

Ah, yes, apologies, I forgot that…

Somehow my router’s WiFi covers my whole house ok, so I’ve not had to deal with WiFi extenders.

To test I would run a long Ethernet cable from the router to the Nd5xs2 and see if the problem is still there.
If not, Mesh WiFi is probably the problem.
The Cisco in the chain, even if it uplifts the sound, adds complexity. I had several times same issues as you when I had the Cisco. I takes more time to find the server. I had often to reboot all.
Now I use the Etheregen switch, straight from the router, and I loose never the server.

So Router, Mesh WiFi, Cisco, can add some difficulties.

3 Likes

In this configuration the ND5 XS2 is still getting its IP address from the router while the control device running the app is getting its IP address from the Google mesh so, if it is a ‘different network’ issue, it won’t help.

I know the NDX worked, but it’s conceivable that the control device running the app coincidentally got its ip address from the router running (I think) the ‘downstairs’ WiFi.

Another possible is that NDX and ND5 XS2, running different generation streamer boards, use different discovery protocols.

Irrespective of why it used to work but doesn’t now, I think the key diagnostic is forcing both devices onto the same network. A permanent solution - with or without Cisco - can be found later!

2 Likes