Update: Going from NDX/XPS to ND5 XS2

Can LanScan see any devices on the wired side of the network?

How can one tell on LanScan which are wired? It really only shows IP and mac addresses, DNS/mDNS names.
Also, I tried what you suggested with my iPhone and it didn’t work, either. Thanks for that, though. AFAIK, my iPhone has always been with this (mesh) network, as was the NDX. Never does it ‘see’ the other unless I ask to join it.

Perhaps @Bart could help. He uses google mesh WiFi with his Nd555. Encountered a similar problem apparently:

Bart

May 12

My ND555 didn’t want to connect to my Google mesh wifi when I first installed the Google devices. I turned off the Naim player…rebooted the Google network…and then turned on the Naim player. All was well after that.

The Google devices use an entirely different subnet set of addresses than are typical; the Nest will need to be restarted to find that network properly.

Does not anyone know what DAC is in the XS2 streamer?

I believe it’s a Burr-Brown 1791A chip. Why?

Was his issue with wifi or wired?

Thanks @jsawyer09 for the clarification. I know that a DAC is really not the basis for understanding the sound signature of a DAC, but DAC chips do tend to have some form of sound signature. And Delta Sigma vs R2R can also have different sound signatures.

I once read that Naim were doing R2R at some point, so was unsure if this was the basis of their DAC architecture.

1 Like

That’s not a stupid question at all. I have not yet; I was only going to do that as a last resort. I typically try to remove every feasible possibility first before going that route. Luckily, this forum and its members have been an invaluable resource for me to eliminate some of those possibilities. I’ll likely try that after yesterday’s series of no-gos. Thank you!

I finally got this figured out! It was driving me nuts, so had to spend much of last night and over lunch today to get it sorted. I completely shut down and disconnected everything from the downstairs utility room where everything resides. I began to piece it back together and in the process, it occurred to me the Ethernet lead that had once been in the ‘cube’ router (this is the satellite wifi) should possibly go into the Google Nest router, instead. From there it went to the first open ports in the Cisco Catalyst (2960) switch, and the Ethernet lead coming from the music room wall plate (which was incidentally terminated by myself when we had finally finished our house) went to the 10/100/1000 port at the far right. The lights blinked green so felt I was good-to-go.
I then went to the music room and connected an AQ Ethernet cable from the ND5 to the wall plate and opened the Naim app. It recognized it! I went into Network Settings and the WIRED connection was confirmed and Tidal ready to play. It has been playing for the last couple of hours as background while working.

Just to let all of you know who have contributed here that there’s no way this would’ve been possible without your contributions and making me think outside the box a bit. The LanScan helped somewhat, but what really did it was a reminder from this thread:
Lost the lot when connected to router via ethernet and what @Simon-in-Suffolk had pointed out using the Net Analyser app. That’s when things sort of clicked. I kept changing settings in the Google Home app and rescanning on the Net Analyser app to see what differences were being made. None of the changes netted the network to see when I attempted to wire the ND5, but did when wireless. That’s when advice given here prompted me to just go for broke and disconnect everything…that’s when the new connection idea occurred to me.
That said, it is really odd how the old Ethernet connections worked, even though the NDX and app were on the Google mesh system. That is the part that I don’t think I can ever resolve, and at this point I can live with not knowing definitively. The current system works both wired and wirelessly! Thank you again to everyone!

5 Likes

Glad you got it sorted.
I would have used one of the 10/100 ports on the switch to connect your streamer, as it doesn’t have a GB port. Save the GB port on the switch for something that can potentially use the extra speed. (Or just leave it as it is, either way it will work.)

1 Like

:wink:

1 Like

That’s great.

Please let us know how it sounds when it all settles down and beds in.

2 Likes

Will do! Thank you.

Nice one, well done. Time to enjoy the music.

2 Likes

Happy to help if I can. My ND555 was wired, and the Naim App of course was wifi. Google Nest absolutely works just fine; you just need to have your entire home network – wired as well as wifi – on it. Again, happy to help!

1 Like

Yes - you did indeed fix what was wrong. The Google Nest ‘base’ MUST be your in-home router/dhcp server, for wired as well as wifi.

1 Like

Thanks, Bart!
I, personally, think the Nest is great in every way. The house we just built is three stories; we have a Nest satellite on each floor and the coverage is always ‘excellent’ according to the Home app when running a test.
Admittedly, my problems were self-inflicted, as I simply hadn’t ruled out the then-current Ethernet cabling situation. It wasn’t until it went into the ‘base/router’ to Cisco 2960 and Cat5e wall from top floor music room to an open port on the Cisco did things get sorted. It seems so trivial now, but at the time it simply eluded me.

It eluded me for a short time, but became apparent when I saw that my wifi devices were on a subnet that I did not recognize (192.168.86.xxx). I did some more searching and learned that the Google Nest system actually assigns internal ip addresses to each of the satellite nodes; thus it HAS to be working as a dhcp server.

Interestingly, my home Verizon FiOS tv settop boxes must also get internal ip addresses, but from the Verizon router. Fortunately the settop boxes dont use wifi for anything, so they are OK existing on their own network.

1 Like

Okay, so while I’m on here, I’d like to post some initial impressions on the ND5 XS2 wired with a standard length AQ Cinnamon Ethernet cable from the streamer to the wall plate…

First off—and this is not subtle at all, nor is it my imagination—I will just say that it is louder in my system/room. I cannot stress this observation enough. Is this really possible; has anyone had a similar experience? This is something that was NOT apparent when the NDX was wired. As it stands, the typical SN2 volume dial on wifi is at 9:00 or sometimes even 9:30 when I like to listen moderately loud. With the streamer wired now, regardless of track, it was quite obviously louder but not in a harsh manner in the least, just louder. I now have it at around 8:00-8:30 and it sounds quite similar as originally stated above. This could be considered subjective without doing an in-room SPL test, which I do intend to do; but wow, this is not a subtle thing.

Another observation is that the soundstage, especially from left to right, sounds more expansive and open. I’d say height is about the same, but depth is where it really seems to stand out to me as well. This becomes really apparent on small jazz ensembles and techno/ambient genres.

Onto bass: It, too, seems like I went into my SVS subwoofer app and increased the dB levels on each one. It still maintains depth, impact, snap and tautness, but is louder, matching the rest of the spectrum’s perceived loudness.

Lastly, and perhaps most impressively, it really has shifted the layering in my sweet spot in terms of my system’s presentation. Since I got this system and room up-and-running, most music has had a consistent mid-row presentation from top-to-bottom. Now it has shifted to a few rows down. Also, the midrange is most certainly more forward, but not in a distracting way at all. My Harbeths have always excelled in this area; now it just seems accentuated even more so and really sounds astonishing. It just comes at you, like it’s illuminated, and brings you in. I feel strangely more engaged. Like I say, it isn’t distracting at all, just like the bass hasn’t been overblown, either. These two areas have just shifted in terms of holography, whereas before I would’ve said no band really stands out (balanced?). Here, though, it sounds almost contradictory how they’ve shifted slightly one way from the other (even though mids and bass simultaneously increased in loudness and departed from a much more ‘flat earth’ perspective); however, the presentation makes more sonic sense within the picture.

Caveat: Who knows if there’s a correlation between what I’ve described here since being wired or if the streamer is just ‘settling in’ from new since its installation? Regardless, when A/B-ing on an album or two, these traits seemingly stand. It really isn’t all that subtle. As typical, it isn’t night and day, either. It sounds somewhere approaching halfway between those hi-fi scenarios. I really like what I hear, though. I wasn’t certain what to expect, since I never gave the matter much thought, coupled with so much opinion concerning SQ wired vs wireless.

Again, thanks everyone! I think as of today I’m really down to just relaxing now and listening without worry.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.