Update: Going from NDX/XPS to ND5 XS2

Bugger. Hopefully a hard reboot as Mike_S suggests will sort it. Fingers crossed for you. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Thank you for that. Oddly, it did not work.

Thank you! I appreciate it. I am truly miffed by this.

Have you checked network settings in the app and for any loose Ethernet connections?

Did a factory reset and nothing. Looked like it was going to work, but while in Tidal it just said READY, regardless of what album/song I attempted to start, then it defaulted to searching rooms again. In Network Settings, all looks goodā€¦Wireless DHCP checked; all others look good.

Thatā€™s bad news. Unfortunate intermission on the pleasure. This moments are the only time when I do miss a screen on the transport.
:sweat:

1 Like

Well, I can only assess at this point there may be a fault within the unit, itself? I tested a few different Ethernet cables and used a USB-to-Ethernet adapter into my Macbook Air from both the Cisco Switch and directly from the wall plate and both configurations work fine. Difficult to believe any of this, as the lights on the rear of the ND5 are showing what they should (green/orange at either side of the port).
I cannot even go into Network Settings if wired (the dreaded ā€˜canā€™t find roomā€™), as the app cannot find the ND5; add to that frustration that Wireless within settings is good, but I cannot figure out how to get to the Wired setting to check it. This is indeed one of the oddest things Iā€™ve encountered with my hifi system. Sometimes I wonder if maybe CDs and vinyl just suit me better. Streaming has been a love/hate relationship from go.

2 Likes

Ah man; that is so unfortunate. You should just be able to just plug in your Ethernet cable and off you go. I feel your frustration here i really do. Maybe contact Naim support first thing tomorrow morning. :pensive:

1 Like

You havenā€™t mentioned if you have a switch. If so you may need to turn that off along with the streamer and router. Then reboot router, wait, switch, wait, streamer.

From what youā€™ve said the ND has its little green light, so this shouldnā€™t be needed.

Iā€™d suggest loading the Fing app on your iPad or iPhone. A scan will show you something like thisā€¦

Youā€™ll see the IP address of the ND, is the network is working and the router has assigned one for it.

Then go into the Rooms screen on the Naim app. Press the + in the top right corner. That will take you to the Add Room screen, like thisā€¦

Press ND5XS2 and follow the prompts. If that fails, choose Add Manually by IP Address using the address you found on Fing. Please would you let me know what happens. Fingers crossed.

1 Like

HH
Itā€™s very nice of you to show those screen grabs to help jssawyer.
Maybe Iā€™m paranoid, but I would not post those id/ip type codes online.
Jim

1 Like

Why, they are only internal network IP addresses, no security risk at all?

3 Likes

None at all. They are internal local IP addresses. I would imagine everyone has 192.168.1.x

4 Likes

Originally Iā€™d shown a MAC address for the wifi which may have been the issue. I thought it was wise to remove it just in case. Is it ok to leave a MAC address visible? I know the IP is perfectly safe.

Is the network configured identically to how is was when the NDX was working wired?

Is the wireless a different subnet to wired?

Best not to show it, but unless it is a camera or other sensitive device then not much to worry about. A mac address can be found by any hacker if they were so minded as it is included in network packets whenever you connect to the internet.

Re the Fing app. Thanks for the pointer, I hadnā€™t come across that one. So impressed with its simple functionality and itā€™s synchronisation across platforms - PC, Android etc Iā€™m signing up for a year premium.

1 Like

Thanks Bruss, and thanks @JimDog for pointing it out. I know the internal IP is ok but hasnā€™t realised about the Mac, though once Jim posted I had my suspicions and edited the post. Iā€™m a bit clueless at times! Iā€™m glad you like Fing, it was recommended to me by someone here.

Iā€™m intrigued to know if Fing and the Find Room help to restore the ND5XS2 to life.

1 Like

I have one of the Ciscos. I completely forgot about that step. I will try again once I get back home. Thank you for your example as well! WIll let you know.

Everything has been the same. It is a different subnet than wired, as I use a Google Home with their satellites (mesh system) throughout the upper floor and my music room. It has posed no issues in the past using it this way. Would I have to sync the app and the rest the same? I use the mesh system to pull a strong wifi signal, otherwise I fear the signal from the router to reach my room is dicey, at best. Thanks!

Perhaps Mesh WiFi is the problem here. Here a post from another thread:

CrystalGipsy

Sep '19

On some mesh devices not sure about Google ones the wired ports operate on a different subnet. This can lead to discovery issues of the device by apps such as Naims app or other upnp software and Roon. I also think Googles block some multicast communication on the wifi that can also cause this. Out of all the mesh systems Googles are the ones with most support questions. If in the US or Canada I would go for Eero they are the class leader and have great support.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not mesh WiFi as such thatā€™s the issue, more that configuring any type of ā€˜extraā€™ WiFi can introduce two subnet that confuse discovery. I canā€™t explain why the NDX worked though, unless your control device happened to be connected to the router WiFi if it were still switched onā€¦

If you have one of the Google mesh points in the same room as the ND5 XS2, I think Iā€™d try wiring it directly to the mesh point. If that works, you could then try reintroducing the Cisco.

1 Like