Update to upgrade?

My 250 was serviced in 2015.

Naim Servicing (from their website)

“How often should I service my Naim product? This is a question often asked, and the Service Department recommendations are as follows: for the Chrome Bumper (circa 1975 - 1989) and Olive (circa 1989 - 2000) range products, we recommend every 8 - 10 years and for the newer Black products (2000 - present), every 12 - 15 years.”

I think we know what you mean here… :teddy_bear:

Unless you try a real Naim HiCap, you will never know… :thinking:

Have a look at TomTom (assuming you are UK based). They have one available.

2 Likes

If I am careless or over-claim, I am happy to be called on it: there is plenty of misinformation (intentional or accidental) here without my adding to it. I also frequently fail to remember whether past threads and comments were on PFM or here.

2015 service for a 250 is fine.

As @IanRobertM says, trying an actual Hicap may well be worthwhile and not an expensive experiment. Have you thought of borrowing a Hicap or two from any Naim-owning mates, or anyone here who lives near you?

4 Likes

I hope your piggy bank is a bit fuller now because if not you have no chance of being able to afford most of the upgrades being suggested here!!

3 Likes

Well said , @ChrisSU . The OP is looking to spend much more than the price of a HiCap new - let alone pre-loved. Not quite making sense… But YMMV, as always… :expressionless:

Thanks. Yes, my very basic question was, should I consider swapping a 250/282 combo that is 17 years old for a new integrated amp. Just that question seems to be getting a resounding no.

1 Like

I wasn’t looking to spend much at all as I don’t have any spare cash. I’ve had some great responses. But my basic question was shoukd I consider selling my 250/282 and replacing with a Naim integrated amp. To which the answer appears to be a resounding no!

1 Like

I didn’t realise that I should be having my pre amp serviced as well.

1 Like

After 17 years, Naim would normally replace all the tantalum bead capacitors in your pre-amp. My Naim pre certainly needed the service after 16 years.
Despite The 12-15 year recommendation for classic boxes, we heard a very real benefit from replacing the 7 year old electrolytic reservoir capacitors in our 135s.
On the basis of this, I’d have both 282 and 250 serviced, unless you can trade in your 250 for a 250DR, which is a significantly better power amp to these cloth ears.

Class A servicing is much cheaper, faster and just as good as the factory for this type of work, so that’s where I’d have the servicing done. You can always have the factory do it, if you prefer.

Best regards, BF

3 Likes

“By HC I presume you mean HiCap? If so, I do have third party power supply that is (supposedly) the equivalent of two Naim HiCaps. I simply could not afford the Naim HiCaps” .

I think I may have the same product (if it’s a half-rack size box) and whilst equivalent, it ain’t the same but “different”. You could switch out for HiCaps (assuming funds allowed) but I can’t see what you’d gain, unless you believe by choosing a non-Naim PSU alternative you’ve somehow cut a sonic corner. I do think cabling can make a difference but I’m in the camp which believes it’s for fine-tuning after all other avenues have been traveled down.

I do indeed. Most of us have to work within a budget and our choices reflect this. If now considering spending more, I would expect a Naim supply to complement your amplifier and offer an improvement. Whether this is the most effective improvement for your funds is your call with your kit. I tend to trust Naim’s design decisions and their experience.

2 Likes

Hi. Many thanks. The 250 was serviced by Class A in 2015. The 282 has never been serviced. I wasn’t aware that the pre amp needs servicing?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.
Yes, they do. The “tants” need to be replaced, just less frequently than the power supply reservoir capacitors, especially those in a regulated power amp such as a NAP250, 135, 300 or 500.

Best regards, BF

1 Like

It’s not just crossovers. I believe the ferrofluid used in some tweeters can evaporate away over time, particularly if the speakers are well used. I’m not sure if B&W804s had ferrofluid cooling of their tweeters but some older B&Ws certainly did. I believe it may be possible to replace the ferrofluid.

Roger

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.