Upgrade advice 52 or 552 or Radikal 1 Urika upgrade to Lp12

You bloody kiwis - I reckon you could :+1:

2 Likes

Important that it is a original Linn belt and
to put it the right way around.

Correct Igel

When Peter Swain visited Audio Genesis here in Sydney quite a few years ago he demonstrated the detrimental sound effect of the Linn belt the wrong way around

It was pretty amazing

2 Likes

What’s the right way then? I took it off a while back to look at the top of the bearing.

Oops😉

Maybe?

1 Like

I’ll ask Harry I can’t remember I’ll let you know

1 Like

Smooth side facing inwards it seems. I’ll check with trepidation.

In other news, I committed heresy by putting my Rega mat on the LP12 as the Linn one was lifting off almost all the time.

1 Like

Or get a cleaning machine and MOFI sleeves :slight_smile:

I’m working through updating the sleeves. Glad I have the ND555……

1 Like

:grin: Reading this thread makes me realise why I gave up on vinyl. It requires some patience and a lot of parts that need to click to get there. Maybe I became lazy. I do miss the romantic part of it though. And the smell of the old Impulse original sleeves (still have them…)

Buy a used record from Discogs rated NM.
Realise it’s VG+ with many pops on my favourite track.
Pull out the cleaning machine and at the same time connect with the seller.
Put on the vacuum hearing my wife go “WHAT ARE YOU DOING??”
Let it dry. Next side. Let it dry.
Put it on the turntable. Still noisy.
Maybe I need another cleaning fluid?
Maybe dust on the needle?
To dry in my room?
Clean the needle. Buy different brushes.
Still noisy.
Shall I find a new copy? Continue purchasing.
Now have 3pcs of the same title. Still not sounding great.
Maybe VTA is off?
VTF?
Azimut?
Speed?
Turn on NDS and stream being frustraded. Realise NDS sounds better.
Pulse goes down.
And no noise? No one to argue with? One copy?
Done.

8 Likes

You need to try again, thinking of noise when listening to an LP12,then something is really wrong with the set up :wink:

1 Like

Really? You’d imagine the tolerances of the ‘spindle’ would differ but maybe not. I think it was suggested that a new outer platter might be good with the new inner but I didn’t bother when I went for the Karousel.

I think the problem with Karousel is that many of us ‘went for it’ when it was effectively free if you spent £3000 on other stuff, so it was pretty difficult to decide which bits were changing the sound and to what extent as several parts changed at once.

I’m not certain I like the changes much either even if the sound is less coloured - great on some albums but thin on others which may be more accurate but less pleasing. That said I’m not sure my phono stage is quite right despite having it serviced a couple of years ago (Linto).

2 Likes

It’s just groove noise and pops and ticks so nothing to do with the turntable. I guess I became too picky when digital got so great :slight_smile:

1 Like

There’s been a lot of ropey vinyl released in recent years - loads of surface noise and blemishes.

2 Likes

The noise has a lot to do with the turntable I would say.If the LP12 i set up correctly and the cartridge is in good condition, the musicality shines in a way digital can’t match and the noise
becomes irrelevant to me.
But good that you like my old NDS :grinning:

3 Likes

From the mighty Guru himself and I quote

“When the belt is new easy to identify rough and smooth side . Rough side should be on the inside as grips the pulley and platter to assist in rotation “

Makes sense - I guess gets tricky when belt gets older and worn to identify rough and smooth side

:crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:

Position smooth side on the inside ,against motor pulley.

Have a read of my response above from my Linn Naim dealer of 35 years + - it’s a quote from him this morning