Upgrade advice 52 or 552 or Radikal 1 Urika upgrade to Lp12

Might be worth having your new inner examined I’d want an answer how it was worse.
Not good.
Main thing is your happy now. :+1:t2:

My dealer said I would get alot more from low output MC cart and for rock and dance music suggested that the Dynavector XX2 Mk2 would suit my tastes. I will let you guys know very soon when it all comes together. Should be ready in next few days. Excited to hear the turntable with a better tonearm and a great cartridge.

3 Likes

The Karousel didn’t do that much for me when I got it. I guess with all the new changes it’s going to be difficult to tell what’s doing what!

4 Likes

What a great business model to earn more money on the upgrades people make rather than the actual table.

1 Like

LoL, a bit like Naim really….

3 Likes

That’s how it works you take an old turntable for £1000 which is what I spent on it originally and then spend £10000 on it to get it sounding different!

Hopefully better. And I sincerely hope with my latest changes that it sounds alot better when it comes back.

There is alot to be said for older spec LP12 valhalla supply and keeping it more original if it has an Ittok and just getting a good cart and keep it original.

The new upgrades are designed to lower the noise floor and let more music in. The older stuff can sound really cool. It will have a bit of warmth and fuzziness but may sound amazing in it’s own right.

It’s like an Olive system rather than DR.

The route I have chosen with LP12 is to slowly upgrade with Cirkus and Lingo 1 and Kore and original tonearm repairs. I was fairly happy with the deck until the cart got a bit older.

Now I have gone full throttle and pushed the button on a number of upgrades, apart from changing out the Lingo 1.

4 Likes

The more vinyl I’m spinning, the more I’m learning that recordings (and maybe pressings) are a big factor indeed. Good vinyl really is quite delightful, poor recordings not so much.

2 Likes

Spot on Mike

I’ve been pretty lucky with purchases over the past few years

At the moment I’m into the Blue Note reissue Jazz series , they are really good albeit pricy

Even better is the Blue Note Tone Poet series, the quality is simply sensational I must say but even more pricy

More contemporary vinyl purchases have been pretty good also, but it appears from comments on this forum it can be a bit hit and miss

1 Like

I’m finding mostly that’s it’s old analogue recordings that excel.

Yes well all the blue note reissues are from the original analogue tapes late 50’s/early 60’s - sensational

You can go onto YouTube and look up Tone Poet and shows the process - amazing stuff :+1:

1 Like

Yes excellent.

If you have an LP12 and those problems,I would try a new Cartridge preferably a MC and a new Belt.
One of the joys with LP12 is that you can buy cheap scratchy vinyls,it will still dig out the music.

Very good point. During recent upgrades to my Xerxes I invested in a new belt. After 14 years usage I thought it was probably overdue.

2 Likes

I change the Belt every year,makes a big difference.

3 Likes

I can afford a belt :+1:

2 Likes

No you can’t / just gone up in price to $1k just for you :crazy_face::crazy_face::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I reckon I could install it myself too, being a DIY Kiwi…

You bloody kiwis - I reckon you could :+1:

2 Likes

Important that it is a original Linn belt and
to put it the right way around.

Correct Igel

When Peter Swain visited Audio Genesis here in Sydney quite a few years ago he demonstrated the detrimental sound effect of the Linn belt the wrong way around

It was pretty amazing

2 Likes