Upgrade advice

£2.5k box = 10 years of music… I wouldn’t be without Qobuz now.

1 Like

I hadn’t decided whether I should try to repopulate my unitiserve or get Tidal but I think I will go with the latter. Having done that, would I be better off served with ndx2, supercap dr, ndac or 300? I am wondering where is the imbalance of my system (once I resolve the tidal/unitiserve/Spotify issue).

A lot of hard drives can be recovered with software packages that can be bought online. They often give you a trial for free that lets you recover some or, see what can be recovered before you buy the app.

If the drive is dead, no power, then it would need to be sent in to someone to recover the data.

Tidal & Qobuz are great services… I prefer Qobuz But I understand it’s not available to everyone. I pay £15 a month for it. For it to work with the NDX I think you need to use a bridge device but I’m sure someone who has already done this will explain better if it is something you wanted to consider.

1 Like

I’d be going for the NDX2 as a first step. If your XPS is not a DR version, consider swapping it for a XPS DR or, even better, a 555PSDR. The NDX2 will give you far better access to web services as well as sounding better.

2 or 3 CDs a month equivalent, but with the added bonus of being able to listen to pretty much anything. I’m fairly sold on any of the streaming services from that value point of view. My library of music went from a thousand odd, to many 10s of thousands overnight.

My subscription selection is driven by what the artists receive, and the use by a streaming service of open/common standards. Hence recent move from Tidal to Qobuz. I’ll re-evaluate once the next round of new hifi offerings settles down.

1 Like

Plus one on having the drive looked at. As much as I like streaming, I still buy CDs, and vinyl, and if I had a library I’d spent time ripping I would definitely invest a bit of money seeing if it could be recovered. Small number of known file formats likely to be more easily recovered than a drive full of a variety of files. Unless the platters are physically damaged the chances are reasonable of recovery I would think… assuming it isn’t a SSD!

Getting your hard drive looked at is probably something your local PC shop will dhave the skills and Software to do - get a price first though

Budget for new slippers, at least annually.

Thanks for the help. Ok I have bought a 2nd hand supercap and ndx2. What additional interconnects will I need? One additional 5 pin snaic since I will have another from the hicap?

You need to include a Snaic 5 with the Hicap when you sell it, so you’ll need to get hold of two more.

Does it matter if it is a 180 deg vs 240 deg snaic?

All snaics are 240°.

The pins for a 240° DIN plug are spread further apart than a 180° plug. So one can’t be used for the other’s purpose.

Ok thanks. Looks like the 240 deg ones are black and the 180 deg ones are grey.

the only upgrade you should do is a subscription to Tidal.
There’s a free trial ,too

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.