Upgrade Atc40s to actives

This is very true. I have certainly been guilty of trying to ‘fix’ bass on certain tracks which maybe down to the recording as much as the room. To a degree I have had some success with speaker/listening position and treatment etc. Anyway I am aware I am taking this thread off track slightly. The only way to know for sure is to try at home.

2 Likes

Agree with you here regarding 40s passive bass i too have found after careful speaker placement they deliver a tight fast deep bass. Not flabby in any way they produce bass if its there on the cd. I found ported speakers to be overpowering in my environment.
Atcs are stunning speakers the only tiny tiny criticism I have is, I wish the tweeter had a touch more top end extension.
No worries because the midrange detail and bass are
sublime :grin::grin:

2 Likes

You are right, I think it is more a case that they sound flabby compared to the actives, that have such a tight grip on the bass that anything else sounds a bit flabby in comparison

2 Likes

When I auditioned SCM40 passives last week on the end of Naim amplification; the bass sounded anything but flabby.

1 Like

I had passive 40’s for six years and ran them with SN2 + HCDR. Only after I upgraded to actives, I knew that the bass performance with passives had been “flabby” all the time. The bass control, grip, depth and punch is on completely new level with actives. I’m sure that with powerful enough amplification, the passives can get very close or even at the same level. SN2 just wasn’t enough.

2 Likes

Personally speaking I wasn’t convinced that a 250 DR was enough for the passive SCM40 when I tried it some years ago. I know that some will disagree but that was reason I opted for the SCM19.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.