Upgrade from 282 / HicapDR / NDS / 555DR

Superlumina DIN/XLR between Hicap DR and 250DR… that is where I would start… and stop.

I say this because to my ears it is the weaker component of a 282/HCDR/250DR system

others may disagree, but that’s my finding… there’s not much pointing spending more money until the weakest parts of the system are upgraded, as they form a bottle neck to the full system performance

2 Likes

Which might be fine if he plans to keep the 250 longterm but would need to be sold on if/when he gets a 300…

I would definitely go for a full Fraim once you have decided on the 300DR or to keep the 250DR, and or Supercap.

Cables can wait until the system is more or less set. They are the icing on the cake!

1 Like

While I did find improvements going from one HCDR to 2 HCDR’s & then again to a SCDR, personally I didn’t feel there was a massive difference between the 2 HCDR’s vs the SCDR, granted there was improvements from 1 HCDR to two so the jump would seem bigger if you are going from just one HCDR. If my plan was to stick with the 282, I don’t think that would be my first improvement. Personally I think the SL speaker cables were a larger change vs NACA5 then from 2 HCDR’s to SCDR.

From what I have heard from a short demo the 300DR does seem to smoothen out things vs the 250DR while on a 282, so not a bad option if you want to keep the 282.

But again, my vote would be for room treatments, likely go much further in sound improvement vs $ spent.

Room treatment

If it were me, I would, in order:

1. Treat the room if you haven’t already. It does not have to be expensive.
  2. Go to a 252/SC; or,
  3. Add a SC to the 282.
  4. Upgrade the source to pre interconnect - there is life beyond SuperLumina.

Your speakers are, as you know, terrific, and as it appears they work in your room I’d be very reluctant to change them.

Bar speakers I am in the same place your are albeit with a Fraim so that would be my vote.

I do mull over the next upgrade, maybe a Supercap, then 252…

I am really tempted to wait for a 552 and do the job properly. Trouble is it could be a long wait, but the system doesn’t really lack anything and I might just stay put.

If you feel the same then it makes sense to get the maximum out of the existing system with Fram, cables etc.

Agreed, I would be tempted when in that position. There is a nice one fairly recently serviced on a well known auction site at the moment for £9.5k…

Something that was not proposed yet, but smoothed so nicely the sound for me, quite night and day : adding the Etheregen switch with MCRU ps. A box upgrade !

Hi aristoweb,

How much energy/time have you put into the overall set up. If not really, I would first of all try and address your ‘ brightness’ issue. For starters I would try and ascertain whether your first reflection from your left speaker is on your glass doors? ( This could mean moving Left speaker slightly/ change the toe in or cover the glass with a light/ medium curtain)
Secondly I bet your left channel is playing ‘ louder’ than the right simply because your right channel is loosing its output into a much bigger space- ie the system is somewhat lob sided in its speaker set up. As a trial I would move the right speaker forming the same distance from the fire place as the left speaker, or in other words much reduced distance between the speakers. Hence swap the right speaker location and racks over.
I would then put an additional thick wool rug in front of the speakers to reduce a floor reflection between the listening position and the speakers. This could also help further reducing a secondary ceiling reflection.
Don’t start throwing money at the system until you have exhausted all your existing set up options. ATB Peter

1 Like

All your comments have been very interesting and are helping me in choosing the upgrade.

I’ll treat the room first.

At the same time I think of buying a Superlumina to replace the HiLine between NDS and 282.

I will also replace the Hi-Cap DR with a Supercap DR.

Then I will consider replacing the 250 DR with the 300 DR.

The Melco S100 dataswitch is interesting but I currently have a TpLink dataswitch powered by a linear power supply and quality cables for the psu.

I also forgot to mention that at the entrance of the NDS I put a Pink Faun Lan isolator.

1 Like

Thanks Peter for your very interesting advice.

I oriented the two speakers so that the sound does not impact the glass door on the left.

The glass already has a curtain and I will open it when I listen.

The distance between the two speakers is 3.5 meters and my listening point is also 3.5 meters from the speakers (on the sofa).

I could move the right speaker to the fireplace and move the two racks.

This would lead to a decrease in the distance between the two speakers: would it be a problem? I should try.

1 Like

I’d suggest you get a decent stand before any of those things, and dedicated mains if you don’t already have it.

Fair point on HCDR vs SC, I knew many plan was to go from 282 to 252 so for me and my journey was logical

On 300, my plan following number of demo was to move to 250DR, purchased sh 300, and then serviced and DR, my journey has ended with 300DR everything I ever wanted and more

As I said in my post there is no wrong, but depends on journey plan for OP

I already have a dedicated power line.

A 6 mm tripolar cable and a Furukech FT SWS-R wall mount Shuko socket.

Thank you

Hi Antz.

I’d like to understand your ystem.

So do you have a 282 with only one HICap DR or do you have a Supercap?

Yes, in fact the 300 DR is a nice arrival point.

I see on the OP system pic a big window at the left on the speaker, and a big glass behind that same speaker ( behind the guitar).
It may easily explain some brightness and agressive sound.
Some work on that before spending money on upgrades is perhaps mandatory.

1 Like

On the left there is a glass but the glass also has a curtain that I can run through.

There is no glass behind the left speaker.

Behind the left speaker there is a plasterboard wall with a particular rough red paint.

The advice I think is to treat the corner behind the cash desk with acoustic material.

1 Like

Ok, my eyes have seen some kind of glass on the floor, behind the guitar. Thanks for clarifying.

Hi @aristoweb my system is in my Bio - 252/SC/300DR with NDX & Kilmax LP12 as sources

over the 20 years of ownership I have used and experience of nearly all classic set up, hence my comments on your post - nothing is wrong but we all ideally like to get the most music for ££ spent
so condenced verison of my history would be
CD5i/202/200
CD5i/202/HCDR/200
CDX2/XPS/202/HCDR/200
NDX/202/HCDR/200
NDX/282/HCDR/200
NDX/282/HCDR/300
NDX/282/HCDR/300DR
NDX/282/SC/300DR
NDX/252/SC/300DR - only play NDX around 5% on IRADIO or FLAC, my main source is LP12

i have always worked with my dealer on upgrades before purchase and pleased to say following 20 years of ownership my jouney is about finished, love my system and the music which is brings - for me I am never going to be able to climb the highest of 500 system, in saying that 252/300 is 4 boxes of black musical magic

enjoy the journey!! :grinning:

5 Likes