Upgrade from Supernait 2?

Didn’t you used to be @jsb1685 ? the guy with a Nait 5i.

Anyway, head towards a 282/HCDR/250. PSU on the CDX2 too.

Intriguing name! I remember that from the old forum.

No, not me, new to the forum. Thx

Hello C, still trying to battle through the multi abbreviations that everyone is using , assuming everyone knows what they are referring to… which I do not, but trying to learn…

So what is: PSU on my existing CDX2? Thank you

Are the cables terminated at speaker’s end soldered or screwed in place using the AQ Suregrip 100 connectors? As when I got mine from them the NAC A5 cables,

speaker’s end is connected via screwed AQ suregrip 100 Z plugs, now the question is whether there will be a difference if the ends are soldered instead of Screwed.

Please excuse the dust

went the same path, SN2 is derived from 282 and 250, so moving there is natural.
282 was the biggest uplift: gained detail, instruments positioning in the scene and also volume as 282 has better gain than SN2 pre amp section. than 250 completed the picture adding more power and control.

Power supply unit. Such as XPS-DR on your CD player.

Ok, I am making progress understanding.

First move, get a 282, (power it with my existing HiCap?) use my existing SN2 power amp section.

Second move, based on the great, helpful video posted above, add a power supply to my CDX2, as he said take care of the front end first. So what units are my options here?

Third move, add a 250 power amp, but might not need it because in my small listening room, don’t really need more power and volume

Fourth move, based on if I ever have enough $, add better power supplies

Comments welcome…!

3 Likes

That makes sense. I added a 252 DR and used the SN2 as a power amp, before adding the 250 DR. The 250 is a big step up from the SN2 power amp, so I’d still keep that in the mix, even with a small room.

1 Like

You typed 252, do you mean 282?

Yes, I mean the 252 in my case.

Fifth move, a used Naim radio (NAT) and an FM aerial on the roof :slight_smile:

Went for it and bought a 282, it’s on the way…can’t wait….will have to wait till Maureen walks the dog to listen to my favorite test songs over and over so I don’t drive her nuts…again…!

5 Likes

So my 282 arrived, right as we lost power due to a huge storm, and now two days later, we are still without power. There was a brief window of time where I was able to set up the system. Listen to it for about an hour, but that was it. So in that hour, here is my take on going from SN2 to the 282. Reminder, I have a CD X2 and a high cap. And my room is only 12’ x 12’. I bought the SN2 new in 2017 and that is what I’ve been listening to on my Vandersteen 2Ce signature‘s the whole time. (vandersteen’s also have a dedicated fan base like Naim)

Listening to my two dozen or so test songs this is what I discovered:
CONS
The 282 is very bright, VERY forward, too forward, in a small space.
Doesn’t play well at low volumes, I had the SN2 volume knob at about 8 o’clock or a little more, and it was way loud, at about 9 o’clock.
I felt it was overrunning some of the subtleties of the music
Need a bigger room, can’t listen to it loud like the SN2, it blasting past my head being only 10 feet away

PROS
Yes highly detailed, heard things I haven’t before, even after listening to the same song a million times, such as fingers sliding down acoustic guitar strings between notes
Better base, was impressed my Vandys could handle it, never heard them do that before
Some high features seem to be leaping out a foot or two in front of the speaker line, rather than being back with the song
Excellent invisible middle speaker content
Very crisp, bright overall sound

Yes, it was only about an hour, but it did feel exhausting, rather than fun with the SN2. Did songs sound better, clear, detailed? Absolutely

So now the new questions arise, because I do not see myself going back to integrated. Buying this first separates box has opened up many curiosities for moving forward, which I plan to do. What posters have said about the 282 I have found to be in general very correct so now what will change the sound and in what way for the next box to add, such as how will the 250 DR change it, how will the supercap change it, or power supply on the CD player, and then, of course the 252, which as posters have described, may be more style of sound that I am looking for.

Would like to hear opinions on the next step, as all your information was a huge help on this first one. Thanks all! Jd

Apologies, I only run a XS3, but if you’re using the 282 as a pre into a SN2 running in power amp mode, isn’t the SN2 volume control bypassed?

Yes, you are correct when you make the connections, the mute button on the SN2 flashes, you hold it in until it stops flashing, turning it into just an amplifier, and then the volume is done on the 282, thank you for the correction

1 Like

Imho… a 250 may well restore the sense of balance and control that the SN had, while adding to the extra detail and subtlety across the whole frequency range that you got with the 282.

1 Like

I’d just wait a day and the beast may be entirely different.

2 Likes

I really think you need to have the NAC 282 run for a few days and you should hear a much different, definitely more pleasing, sound.

I added a NAC 282 to my SN 2 and the improvement in sound was wonderful. I could not relate to your experience at all and hopefully you will have continual power and after a week or so let us know if your listening experience changes for the better.

1 Like

You seem to be underwhelmed or you were probably expecting different presentation, I would say wait and see in the next week or two how sound changes and then take a decision. I have fronted my SN2 with a recently serviced 82 a couple of months ago without any additional PSU and it was not bright either in the beginning nor now. My room is very similar in dimensions to yours, it is fairly treated acoustically though.