Upgrade from XS integrated?

When I went to the dealer for a demo of the SN3 I also asked to hear the blue sound node and the ND5 XS2 with it. I listened to the node for 20 minutes or so and liked it, sounded great. Then the ND5 was hooked up and it was only five minutes before I was ordering it and the SN3 together :slightly_smiling_face:
When I arranged the demo I really didn’t think I’d hear a difference, or enough of a difference to justify the large additional cost.

Cheers,
Mark

1 Like

Yes my understanding is the Harbeths want power to shine
My current setup sounds great but as I’m sure folks on the forum can relate I’m looking for the next boost in performance it’s addictive!
Here is my setup:
Bluesound Node 2i → XS2 (powered by hi-cap clone) → Harbeth speakers
Vintage Thorens Turntable-> Southerland phono stage → XS2 …

Okay the Harbeths like it up ‘em. Go SN3, source later.

1 Like

SN3 or 202/200 separates?

1 Like

to the OP
I started my Naim journey with a Nait 5i and after a few months swapped it to a 122x/150x which is similar to what you are proposing in the XS range. I would quantify the improvement I got as 15% max. Did not take the sound into another league. Changing the CD5i to a flatcapped CD5X did make a bigger improvement.

So what should you do? I advise you to jump two steps when you upgrade and start at the source. If the funds don’t allow for this now just don’t rush it and save some money. Thew fewer “moves” you do to reach your ultimate system the cheaper it will cost you overall.

3 Likes

Well, if you want a future upgrade route 202/200 but if end game perhaps SN. However, if you go 202/200 you’ll have to do 2nd hand as Naim aren’t producing at the moment. Frankly though I’d skip the 202 and seek out a 2nd hand 282/200, a brilliant pairing.

1 Like

I’ve long thought the problem with the XS range is that it is such a ball-breaker financially to beat them. Basically you are into 202/200 territory, minimum, and fronted by a matching NDX2.

Please let us know how it goes.

2 Likes

I went from Nait XS/CD5i/Sonos
to Nait XS/ND5XS
Added a HiCap
Added a NAP200DR
Traded the XS/HiCap/ND5 for a 272

I’m still happy with my 272/200 & at the current used prices of 272’s you could do a lot worse! This would be a source/pre/dac upgrade. AFAIK you can use your NaitXS as a power amp for the time being? Node will fill in the gaps that the 272 can’t stream…

Dumb question - When you add a HiCap to an integrated amp, for example, an XS2, does the amp still need a power chord? In other words, does the HiCap PS power the power section of the amp only and the amp continues to need its own AC for other functions?

Yes. The internal psu is for the power amp which now stops powering the preamp. The hicap flatcap or supercap is for the preamp.

Put simply, the connector that you remove from the back panel joins up the power amp and preamp sections. The power amp sends power (electricity) to the preamp, the preamp sends the audio signal to the power amp. When you connect eg a hicap with the required 4 and 5 pin snaics, the electricity and preamp signal go in and out through the hicap, but it’s now the hicap powering the preamp.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.