Upgrade Ideas?

So - I used to have a Nac272/250DR. Wasn’t super happy with the detail and sold off the Nac272 and got a Nac72 and a Naim Dac. The UnitiQute2 and HicapDR I already had - wasn’t using them…

Looking for an upgrade - or a change - with possibly fewer boxes.

Options that present themselves:
Sell the lot and get a NDX2/SN3. Not sure if it’s going to sound better or worse…

Get a 282? Too much money. :slight_smile: but could wait for a s/h unit to come along - but won’t reduce the box count…

What about the source?
Again - seems like a lot of $$ to go up to the NDX2… not sure whether the spend is worth it…

Thoughts? Any other ideas? Not entirely sure where the bottleneck is - probably the Nac72 - but not 100% sure…

System sounds wonderful to be honest… and the s/h prices on the UQ2, Nac72 and Naim Dac are a bargain…

Ah - running the following system now:

UnitiQute2/Naim Dac/Nac72/HicapDR/250DR. thanks

1 Like

I’m a Naim dealer and will tell you that more people are buying the UnitiNova than any other product I’ve ever sold. I won’t go so far as to say it’s better than this or that but I can tell you this unit, along with four ISO Acoustic footers and an upgraded power cord will sound so good you will forget about electronics. I’m just flabbergasted at how good the amplifier is on the Nova. Stereophile called it one of the best amps they have ever heard, period.

Alright! System is singing again.

I just realized that the upgrade itch started when I tried a 555 on the Naim Dac. This led to the Nac72 being perceived as the bottleneck - the sound got thick and it felt like something was missing - like the Dac was outputting a lot more than the Nac72 could resolve.

I removed the 555 from the Dac and am happy again with the sound. It’s leaner but I guess I’m used to that now and like that sound!

So got a nicely, well balanced, flawed system, but who cares.

Have you tried feeding your secondary system with your nd555?

No.
Even trying it out with the 555 has taken me more than two years…
This is kinda boring now…

Ultimately- for the second system i suspect a system from which not much is expected is probably the best. It can’t compare to the big one in any case…

Still / it’s fun to see how close one can come to the big one with 1/10th the spend…

Must admit - tempted to sell the lot and get a NDX2/SN3 or keep the naim dac - and do NaimDac/SN3 I cant believe the difference is going to be that much between the naim dac and the NDX2 to warrant the spend - and this allows me to play around with other dacs - time permitting.
I’d have to sell the 250 myself - something I cant be motivated to do right now - I just fine the whole ordeal of listing, dealing, packing shipping fairly abhorrent now

I run a $20 echo link into Marshall Stanmore speakers in the garage. Surprisingly satisfying for pop/workout music.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.