Upgrade itch 272 / 555PS DR / 300 DR, SL

The system already sounds great but you feel there is room for improvement. As already inferred, you will get a massive improvement by putting everything on a Fraim. I would say that would merit the extra expense for a longer SL.
While I was waiting for my Fraim, I had my then 252/300 and everything else sitting on top of each other. The difference on the Fraim was massive.
You have a brilliant system already but I regret that Naim and aesthetic interior design are not compatible UNLESS you design the room around the system.
Clearly your loved one does not aspire to this.
I cannot tell you what to do but I can tell you that, when I moved flats and designed the system around the room, I sold everything and bought an active system with sound optimization.
Now, the only thing visible in our living space is the speakers and the SQ is amazing after the SO has been applied.

1 Like

No criticism from me. I made observations based upon what I what I saw in the pic and asked Deegs if he was happy with his setup. (He then explained why he was).

1 Like

Have to agree with MDS, I was present for a demo at the Bristol Hi-fi show from Alastair at Quadraspire, with the newly developed isolation feet, which were specifically designed for this situation …
It’s an extremely good compromise when the wife doesn’t want a Rack in the room…

so before you change anything get the black boxes sounding their best…give the isolation feet a try…you will probably find nothing else needs changing

5 Likes

Hi Deegs

Fantastic system and envy the Speakers!
How much room do you have above the Naim boxes and the under side of the unit?
Unfortunately as most suggest the system will be compromised considerably how you have it currently. Perhaps there would be enough room to get something like QUADRASPIRE QPLUS REFERENCE ACOUSTIC FEET under each unit and something like Nordorst cable risers so everything is off of the floor.

Regards

Popeye

4 Likes

Exactly. A heavy shelf just above the floor and place the units side by side with some good isolation. You just don’t need a Fraim to get the system sounding great. It’s one solution, there are others. Then the NDX2 if you want a better source.

3 Likes

Agreed… get rid of the lot and get a Devialet one box and yer done. Plop it on top of the brown thing and you are good to go. Wife factor would probably be acceptable too.

1 Like

Never heard a Devialet I liked. Aavik has a new one-box (U-380) that I’ll listen to at some point.

There really is some bullsh*t written on this forum at times! ‘Get rid of your Naim if you’re not prepared to rack it properly’, ‘£3,000 worth of interconnect might as well go in the bin for all the good it does if allowed to touch the floor’.

I know we’re all allowed our opinions, but really…! By all means suggest what some of you feel is a mandatory part of Naim ownership and necessary to gain access to the exclusive members club, but to come out with some of your comments? Words fail me. Flat earthery at it’s worst, definitely designed to discourage postings from us mere mortals who have failed to conform with the 10 commandments.

22 Likes

Hear hear (from the naughty corner, no Fraim, system in the lounge with a family friendly set up - sounds crap).

1 Like

[The 272 has native Tidal] “but it sounds awful. It’s much better with Bubble.”
“You could install Bubble UPnP on a NAS and use that for Tidal, which will raise the quality immeasurably.”

Is this what other people have found with the 272 or other previous platform Naim streamers and Tidal?

I have never got a NAS because I have never been sure of which one to get and didn’t fancy the IT involved, and choosing file formats, etc.

So I’ve been improving other parts of my system, and researching posh NASs like Melco and Innuous while trying to make up my mind.

But I had never heard before that Tidal sounds immeasurably worse native on a 272 than via a QNAP (or similar) NAS.

Is that generally accepted as a finding?

When I took advantage of my ‘free’ Tidal trial after buying my system, I found it did not sound as good as streaming ripped CDs from my UnitiServe. It sounded a bit flat, with a restricted dynamic range. I never bothered trying to set it up via my NAS as I wasn’t particularly interested. I use Spotify or YouTube to demo unknown artists/music, then if I like it I buy the CD or download.

2 Likes

Tidal can sound very good on my 272. Magma Live in London 1974 is excellent.

1 Like

I tried the Devialet too - it left me wanting more…

I find similar, vocal and acoustic music sounds fantastic but electronic seems to lose something, a little flat as you say. I’ve tried Tidal through Roon on my Macbook which brings more punch but at the sacrifice of some detail, this may be due to using the digital cable as the input.

I listen mainly to acoustic jazz, generally very good recordings.
And they sound excellent to me.
But there are no doubt a lot ways in which the sound could be improved even further.

If height allows, putting two stacks of black rack matching the black boxes (IsoBlue, for instance?) underneath your wife’s beloved unit (the wood looks beautiful!) shouldn’t disturb the interior design too much if at all, and sound would be improved.

From a looks point of view, I thought boxes on the floor look a bit improvised — as if you just moved in. Have conversations with your wife how to improve both sound and interior design. Surely there must a solution… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Deegs,

I would suggest NOT to get another box, but build on what you already have and crucially get 2 low Fraim racks ( brain/ brawn set up). If possible I would get rid of that vertical plate close to the wall under the telly to allow room for the Fraim stacks under the telly. I would definitely move the speakers closer together, as I would guess you are suffering a wishy washy presentation with a ‘ hole in the middle’. It could be as much moving closer together as say 3-4 feet! You could then move them very slightly forward for the Fraim stacks not to protrude in front of the speaker fronts and maybe even fire them with no toe in. Also make sure the speakers maintain the same distance to the side walls ( important!). It looks a pretty lively room although very tastefully laid out and decorated and maybe the inferior box set up at present is also highlighting the 300s slightly lean character. It would be interesting to see if above suggestion would give you the fuller presentation you crave.
For your wife’s potential obstruction and as you are in the Middle East, ‘ Diamonds are a woman’s best friend’ :yum: Good luck Peter

2 Likes

Quite a few people have mentioned this previously and it’s what I found when I trialled Tidal. It was dull and uninvolving yet when played with Bubble it was virtually indistinguishable from a locally stored rip. I’m hazy on the technical reason but it’s something to do with the Tidal stream effectively becoming the same as a local rip, Bubble being UPnP. I controlled it using Linn Kazoo. I suspect there are more elegant ways to do it but as I already have a Qnap nas the Bubble solution was totally free.

1 Like

I found Tidal to be good but not quite as good as local streaming. It certainly wasnt awful to me.
Bubble Server lifts the quality to near local streaming IME.

2 Likes

Hi Tim. I only report what I’ve found over many years of Naim ownership. How the boxes are supported can totally change the sound, and stacking boxes in a heap is the best way to make them sound at their worst. It’s about whether one wants to get the best out of the £20,000 spent on a 272, 555 and 300. I know that if a SL lead hangs on the floor, much of its potential is lost. I personally want my system to sound as good as it possibly can, but if others don’t then that’s fine. It’s nothing about exclusive clubs or flat earth mania. It’s just about getting the best out of what I’ve got. It may or may not matter to the OP, to you or to anyone else. It’s simply how I see it.

3 Likes