Upgrade Nait 5 or time for a new amp?

Service your amp whose sound you like and add a Flatcap. You will enjoy it even more.

1 Like

Doc Tony,
If you like the presentation of what you’ve got and it works well in your room stick with it and get it serviced.
If you are looking for a bit more I had a XS3 and didn’t think the SN3 offered more to my system/room although plenty will disagree here.
My only word of caution with XS3 was balance, image was not dead centre, but could fix with Roon dsp.
Enjoy the journey.

1 Like

The Nait 5 has a balance control :slight_smile: it’s a remarkable amp.

3 Likes

So does the XS, using the NARCOM remote, when it’s at the centre point the LED on the volume knob blinks. Just set it left/right to suit your room/ears.

1 Like

Mr.M
I did not know that - thanks.
That’ll teach me to read the manual.
From current integrated amplifiers manual “ Note: The NAIT XS 3 does not incorporate any facility for channel balance adjustment.”
I moved on in any event :+1::grin:.

1 Like

I think you are thinking of the NAC202…

1 Like

I’d check if I still had a NAIT XS, my memory shouldn’t be relied upon :rofl: I have owned a NAC 202 as well…

NAIT XS

Apologies, seems it can’t be done on an XS, maybe it was a NAIT 5 I was thinking of?

NAIT 5

Good catch Richard.

2 Likes

Dear group,

Thanks to everyone again for their responses! After contemplating the replies, my immediate plan is to stick with my Nait 5 since it’s been working well for me and has what amounts to a perfect feature list for my needs (PS upgradability, balance control, etc.)

That said, I followed the advice offered by several of you and purchased a Flatcap to use with the Nait 5. It should be here in a few weeks after it gets serviced. Hoping it gives me a little more refinement at mid and higher volumes as well as help extract a little more spacial information from the recordings. Time will tell.

Thanks, Tony

5 Likes

I thought it would be fun to post a quick video of my NAIT 5 playing some Donovan. Looking forward to seeing what improvements adding a Flatcap provides.

(For the sharp-eyed viewers, yes I am using ~4m runs of 18 gauge single core “magnet wire” for speaker cables. I also have Linn K20 cables, but prefer the way the magnet wire performs. :slightly_smiling_face:)

2 Likes

Brief update: I recently received the freshly refurbished (olive) Flatcap and installed it into my system. Very appreciative to those that recommended getting one and I’ve found it to be a nice upgrade; not a night and day difference, but the overall sound is a little smoother and more refined. The soundstage might be a bit better as well, but I haven’t gone back and forth enough to know for sure.

To go with the Flatcap I have a SNAIC 5 cable, and have a SNAIC 4 on order. I’m a bit surprised how much the cables influence the sound. Which power supply cables are the rest of you using? Did you experiment or did you just buy the set you are now using and call it a day?

Suffice it to say that the supplied SNAIC’s are most peoples’ choice; and that discussion of non-naim power carrying cables is usually discouraged here.

1 Like

Not just discouraged, but also in breach of forum rules!

2 Likes

Thanks Richard, knew that really but was keeping in my place :wink:

2 Likes

“We do not permit discussion of modifications to internal components… Modification extends to the use of 3rd party or home-made power supplies and any cabling that carries DC power between Naim equipment.”

Ah, there it is. My apologies, and thank you to @CrazyRiver for the reply and clarification.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.