Upgrade ND5 XS with NDAC?

Having returned to base and checked my setup, I’ve spent the last 2 days doing extensive tests on my ND5 XS (Streamer) and the nDAC.

For clarity, my base set up is EPOS 22, NACA 5 cable, Supernait 2 with HI Cap DR attached. The system was warmed up and left on overnight just to ensure all conditions were optimal.

The source for the initial tests was a Naim DVD5.

This fed the Streamer and the nDAC simultaneously with optical cables (identical). Just as a base, the DVD5 was also connected to a 3rd channel on the Supernait 2 (using a Naim 5 pin DIN cable).

Hence the SuperNait 2 was being fed the same source directly and also via 2 D/A converters (the Streamer and the nDAC). The same type of naim din cables were used to connect the 2 converters.

Initially my XP5 XS was not connected to anything (so there was no question of Chassis/floating switches being a contributing factor).

Test 1 was with a variety of known CD material being played by the DVD5.

The A/B test was listening to section of various songs and switching between various channels on the SuperNait 2. I was looking to see if there were any changes in clarity, focus, depth of soundstage, Size/Spread in soundstage, separation between instruments, Bass depth and control.

In just about all of the above categories, there was no perceivable difference between the D/A converters. At a real push, the nDAC may have on occasion had a small increase in vocal presence and a minor degree of extra separation but this was not universal and was a real strain to hear it. It also showed a slightly more forward presentation, a tad more aggressive and was not necessarily as pleasing as the Streamer.

It is worth noting that the 3rd channel on the SuperNait 2 contained the direct feed from the DVD5 using its own converters was slightly inferior to the other 2 feeds. This was mainly due to a very slight reduction in clarify and separation. This feed was certainly very acceptable, and I’d certainly be able to live with this source if I had no other. Given this DVD 5 was bought circa 2005/6, it certainly is/was a great unit for its day.

Test 2

Replaced the DVD5 as source with my Unitiserve again feeding digitally, the 2 DACs. Here I had more access to my usual collection and spent a long time listening across a variety of material.

Again, no real difference detected.

Test 3

Added the XP5 XS to the nDac and made sure the ground/chassis switch was selected on only 1 unit.

No change observed.

Test 4

Swapped the XP5 XS to the Streamer.

No Change detected.

Conclusion

Others may have different mileage if repeating this test, but I conclude that the XP5 XS is a stunning unit and the adding of an nDAC is very (repeat very) much into the marginal gain territory. XP5 XS made no change to my experience. Hence, I will be selling both my nDAC and XP5 XS. That would likely pay for a lifetime Tidal subscription.

I see that there is a NDS available second hand (locally) which I’d like to test-out but I’d only think of acquiring it if I was able to perform such an A/B test to find out the actual improvement, if any.

2 Likes

is your nd5xs running firmware 4.8 and is your ndac running 4.11.8? I was sure that the nd5xs has the same dac chip as the dac v1 and I know for a fact that the ndac wipes the floor with that ( I own both)

The DVD5 will be providing the signal ground so any thing else connected to the SN2 would need to be set to “floating”.

The correct way of using the ND5 as transport is to set it as digital only and disable the analogue out. You may leave both the nDAC and ND5 connected as long as only one of them is set to chassis ground. Then do the tests with with the analogue or digital enabled, not both.

I used CD for the nDAC feed and Tuner for the ND5 feed.

Also ensure the output is set to native and not 24/96.

In this configuration the nDAC is well above the ND5 which sounds flat and not life-like in comparison.

Admittedly I’m using an 82/Supercap/250 but the difference should still be there with the SN2.

2 Likes

I can’t comment on the NDAC as I am unfamiliar with it, however I upgraded my ND5XS by adding a Chord Hugo (replacing an XD5XS power supply which I had bought as an upgrade but was severely disappointing with the very small benefit it brought for the money). Hugo brought a wonderful sense of naturalism to the sound and was a major step forward, and led me into my subsequent changes that took me to the state of bliss I am in today.

As Guinnless mentioned - it’s possible that the DVD5 could also be providing signal ground

It isn’t whether or not the external power supply is connected that is the issue with signal grounding

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.