Upgrade ND5XS2?

Okay, I am getting into this streaming thing and really enjoy the quality of music coming through the ND5XS2 into an NDAC and 555PS. Now I’m wondering about moving up to an NDX2 with the 555PS or going all in with the ND555? I had heard before it would be a bit of a lateral move to the NDX2 but the ND555 would be a big step up.

1 Like

Yes, you’ve already got the same streaming board as the NDX2 into Naim DAC, so the ND555 is the way forward.

1 Like

Thank you. I’m also making the assumption that my non-DR 555PS would work with the ND555. I would plan to get it upgraded but it has been more than fine with the Naim DAC.

1 Like

With the 552, the ND555 is the way to go if you can afford it. Your non-DR 555PS will work fine. That said, the ND555 was built around DR tech and indeed has some DR bits on board, so getting your power supply upgraded would be a really good idea. Given that the ND555 won’t work without the PS, it may be an idea to get the PS upgraded first to avoid being without music while it’s away.

Ironically, as I use nDAC I should have your non-DR 555PS, and you should have my DR version!

If only we could swop - but it’s against forum rules!

1 Like

The fact that the other one is in Colorado and 110V would be a minor obstacle.

1 Like

Yes, that too.

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll have to see how hard it is to source one now. In the meantime, i’ll keep enjoying the ND5XS2!

2 Likes

Can you try the nd555 first in your system to see if the delta is worth it or even to your tastes first, before spending all that money. An upgrade can sometimes be a downgrade to the ears.

1 Like

I cannot have a listen before buying unfortunately. My closest dealer doesn’t stock anything new anymore unfortunately.

The other idea would be to demo a Linn streamer. My dealer does carry linn in stock.

Earlier this year I was in the market to upgrade my system - and my search for a streamer was widespread. Long story short, I was able to demo a ND5XS2 and NDX2 at home side by side. Now, I have pretty good hearing, but I wasn’t about to be swayed by subjectivity on my part so I roped in my sons (in their early 20s) whose hearing is pin sharp. During blind listening tests for sound quality/definition musicality etc the jury was split between the ND5XS2 and the NDX2. The difference was so minor! I know there are many out there that will state the difference is 'night and day ’ or ‘everything is so much more detailed with the NDX2’. I disagree… in the end, whilst I liked the display on the NDX2 I wasn’t prepared to spend an extra £3k just to get a display. without hesitation I bought the ND5XS2 . Don’t get me wrong, the sound is superb from either but the price delta between the two just doesn’t justify the outlay for the NDX2…considering the SQ is very similar.

So the next logical step (if you wish to spend the money is to go to the ND555 …but it’s eye wateringly expensive (£13,000!!) - I personally could never justify that. I really love the ND5XS2 - the control app is great - has never let me down in any respect and I frankly don’t need the display of an NDX2 - for me the app is everything I need.

7 Likes

Put a powerline and hiline on it and it lifts it again…

1 Like

I think the main point is that you can add an external power supply to the NDX2 whereas you can’t to the ND5 XS2. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing, is a matter of individual opinion.

3 Likes

@anon4489532 makes the valid point that system hierarchy would say that a ND555 would be the logical match with a 552 but as the OP has a 555PSU on the nDac I wonder just how close the performance gap might be. And @davidhendon’s point about being able to add a PSU to the NDX2 is = right but again would it deliver more than a nDac/555? I certainly wouldn’t make the step up without a very convincing demo.

Why don’t you take your streamer to the shop and demo there? I’m sure a distributor would send him a demo NDX2 to him.

If you can’t listen and be sure it’s worth it, you should seriously question buying one until you can.

Just because some people here rave about it, it is YOU that must be satisfied about its added value to your life.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.