Upgrade or downgrade?

The NDAC was a popular upgrade for Naim streamers as an alternative to a PSU upgrade. Then there are PSU upgrade options for the NDAC, and here the consensus seems to be that the original non-DR version of the 555PS is the best match.
Many of us chose Chord DACs paired with Naim streamers, but of course, there are many others you could try.

The Ndac , even without ps, will uplift nicely your Nd5xs2. No problem.

2 Likes

I certainly wouldnā€™t call it a consensus, rather a certain number of opinions.

There are numerous opinions in favor of the he 555PS-DR as well.

As far as Iā€™m concerned, the 555PS-DR was an obvious choice considering what the DR technology brings to the table in terms of lower noise floor, and therefore clarity (especially for voices, acoustic music andā€¦ piano!)

1 Like

I certainly wouldnā€™t state a sharp opinion regarding the ND5 XS 2 and the nDAC.

I havenā€™t compared them side by side.

I did compare the nDAC against the nDAC+555PS-DR and then against the ND555.

Even Though they share the same DAC chip, the jump from nDAC to the ND555 is quite something!

As for adding a power supply to the nDAC, the 555PS-DR made a significant difference, by lowering noise floor and allowing clarity and those microdynamics that give the illusion of the real thing.

1 Like

Thanks for your comments,
I estimate that in the near future, I will be able to perform, with the kind help of my dealer, a hearing test with Ndac + 555ps paired with 5XS2.
I guess you will read about my insights in the near future. :wink:

If you can afford Ndac/ 555ps/ Nd5xs2, I would personally better go for Nds/555 ps, which will sound better, at least for most.
But you will not have Qobuz native.
If Qobuz native is a priority, better buy Ndx2/ Xps dr for similar global cost.
All depends if you have already or not the Nd5xs2.

I agree with Chrissu, the majority prefer 555 ps to 555 dr for Ndac, on this forum.
For all Naim streamers, the dr is however better.

Interesting.
I already have the 5 XS2.
I am interested in the analog enhancement beyond the advantage of the existing digital platform in the 5 XS2.
Iā€™m not willing to give up streaming quality (TIDAL MASTER and FLAC quality internet radio) in favor of improving the analog port on a previous generation device (NDS).
I therefore assumed that combining the Ndac with the 555, would be a perfect and inexpensive solution, as opposed to purchasing a new streamer and a new power supply.
(I am not interested in the Qobuz server and I am very pleased with the existing server.)

2 Likes

As you are not interested by Qobuz, an Nds/555 dr would be the best sounding option. Around 2/3 k for the Nds actually, a real bargain.
So if you sell your Nd5xs2, it will pay you the Nds. You will just have to buy a second hand 555 dr, serviced not more than 4/5 years.

Or buy, as you said, an Ndac/ 555 ps .

Globally both options cost nearly the same. But you know already my preference :laughing:

1 Like

I have yet to come across anyone, on this forum or elsewhere, who has said that they prefer their NDAC powered by a 555DR. Where anyone has expressed an opinion, it has invariably been for the non-DR version for this perticular pairing.

1 Like

Really? If I recall correctly I did :wink:

My findings are pretty much the ones describe by @Darkebear on the following post :
ā€“> Naim PS555 dr against old PS555

the 555PS non-DR being somewhat veiled and lacking some precision.

Did you compare them yourself?

But of course, everyone has its own taste and expectations.

Given the benefits of DR technology I struggle to see how this isnā€™t a step up over the non-DR version - at least to some ears. It certainly has proved to be in my experience on a CDX2 and a CD555. Admittedly I havenā€™t compared them on a NDAC but Iā€™m sceptical that thereā€™s something unique about the NDAC that makes it function ā€˜betterā€™ with a less capable power supply.

Taste I suppose. Nothing wrong about that, of course.

Itā€™s not a comparison between dr and non dr 555ps, but between Ndac/ 555ps and Ndac/555dr. The non dr gives apparently a more natural and musical sound on the NDAC.
Dark Bear refers to the Nd555.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.