Upgrade Path 300 to 500

For me the 500 was and absolute game changer. One can have views about source first but as

Get a good deal on a 500 and the rest will fall in place particularly if the room and speakers justify a 500.

Phil

I have had a 500/552 and linn ds Klimax since 2009. Just been listening carefully to a 272/300 and am amazed about how stunning the DR is. Am seriously thinking about changing to this as I cannot afford the DR upgrade to the naim, and indeed there is an upgrade possible to the klimax. Naim dates from 2005. any thoughts?

What mods have you done to your Gyrodec,
And how old is it.

Ross totally confused by your postā€¦do you mean you want to go back to a 300drā€¦ nope thatā€™s backwardsā€¦big regrets there
If your 500 is a 2005ā€¦just get it recapped if you cant afford the dr upgradeā€¦it should be far superior to a 300dr!!! Also remember unless the 272/300 was in your system ā€¦ up against your current set up it is hard to judgeā€¦ Do not get rid of the 500ā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ve got a 272/555DR and 300DR and love it. I had a 552/300 back in the day and the current stuff really isnā€™t that for behind. Iā€™ve always preferred the 300 to the 500 so maybe you could get a 300DR and use the saving to DR the 552. It would seem a shame to let such a good preamp go, but then againā€¦

1 Like

Really helpful, I think Iā€™m just bowled over by the DR upgrade. Maybe it is just needs a service is it been on solidly for about 13 years. I can not afford to DR it

Hi yeahā€¦respect hh he has a pointā€¦but the 552/500 is a great combinationā€¦ I would argue in terms of balance the non dr 500 with the 552 is great combo. The upfront nature of the 552 is tamed just a touch by the very slight warmth of the non dr 500. The dr500 is more forensic and slightly more clinical ā€¦ with faster bassā€¦so your system balance could shift a touch. I am not sure about the 300dr ā€¦ I certainly know going from a 250 to 250dr was similar. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Upgraded the power supply and added Orbe platter and clamp. Sounds great but doesnā€™t look quite as cool

Are you running the DC motor or the older AC papst one

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.