Upgrade path help

I am considering a number of upgrade paths. Can I have your thoughts please. I have a Naim streamer and CD player but Vinyl is the most important.

My current system is

1. Spectral Stand
  2. Clear Audio Emotion SE turntable with Benz Micro gold cartridge
  3. Naim Superline phono with HiCap
  4. NAC 202 with HiCap and NAPSC
  5. Naim NAP 250 DR Amp
  6. PMC Twenty Six speakers

Been considering the following

1. A good second hand NAC 552 with NAPS 552 DR
  2. Rega P10 with APHELION 2

Any comments thoughts and ideas please.

You need to plan for both upgrades over time.

But consider putting off the Rega and demo a good LP12 set up.

1 Like

I can’t comment with first hand experience but I’d say you would want superior speakers if thinking P10 or a 552! :flushed:

What Naim streamer?

My PMC 20.26’s sound fantastic with ND555, 552DR and 300DR.

Good thought re Linn deck.

Not sure re speaker upgrade.

Streamer is ND5 XS

Thankyou for comment re PMCs and 552

Mike, I’ve had my 26’s from a ND5XS and 152/155XS system through NDS with 252/300 to where I am today and the 26’s have responded with every jump.

I’m sure there are much better speakers out there but my point was that I’ve remained happy with the PMC’s throughout. I no doubt will upgrade them at some point but in the context of the changes you’re planning. I’d definitely improve your source and/or amplifiers before your speakers.

Just my opinion though.

I bet they do but it’s certainly not a balanced system. £4500 worth of speakers emitting the sound from £45,000’s worth of black boxes! :thinking::joy:

1 Like

Hi, I know it’s a little different but I recently bought an ex dem Kuzma stogi s. I’ve done some sideways moves over the years, gyrodec to Nottingham Analogue Ace Space (liked the gyro just not the tricky setting up) and now recently to the Stogi at recommendation of dealer, I had on trial and it blew me away. Very flowing musically great solid bass and air. The ace space felt lumpy in comparison. Its solid and is very heavy. It’s in your cost bracket so I’d recommend you take a look.

1 Like

Good point Popeye but I don’t have the Rega or the 552. I guess it’s a matter of step by step. I have spent lots of money on hi fi with upgrades and always regret not going right to the best ( within reason) so who knows the speakers could be next.
Not sure I make it 45k but a lot. You are right.

Will take a look at the Kazuma

The Naim 2021 price increase must be even bigger than usual.

Buryfc I agree. I love the speakers and like you may upgrade in the future but probably the source for now.

Nd555 is £21k with a 555ps and a 552 is £21,999 and a 300dr is £8300 my maths, I was wrong apologies, £51,299 without cables.

£50k’s worth of black boxes playing out of £4500 worth of speakers is hilarious actually. :rofl:

Popeye I was referring to the value of my system that started this tread not being 45.

I know Mike, I am replying to Burryfc post and AJK. :+1:t2:

Did you miss this bit in my second post ?

“ I’m sure there are much better speakers out there but my point was that I’ve remained happy with the PMC’s throughout. I no doubt will upgrade them at some point but in the context of the changes you’re planning. I’d definitely improve your source and/or amplifiers before your speakers.”

I am however pleased that you are having fun at my expense.

So what order up grade.

I think 552
Then
Turntable
Then
Perhaps Amp
Then
Perhaps speakers.

???

Dont know anything about Turntables, but I would definitely look to change the NAC 202 to 282, which will far better match the NAP 250

Your right but I was costing the OP’s system.

Seems usual for even full 500 system users to be happy spending much less on speakers and for the OP I think speakers can wait. IMO of course.

But your point was still right :unamused:

1 Like

The problem with the NAC 282 is I may need to upgrade again in the future. As ever it’s a real conundrum.