Upgrade path help

Mike you are in a difficult position.
Source first is always the best philosophy to take to a point but system balance is just as strong a proposition.
You can’t always go with source first every time you are in a position to upgrade.
Judging by your list, pre would be what I’d be suggesting but most would be thinking 282 as you already have a 250 and it is it’s natural partner. Not to mention your speakers then would be plausible and not out of their depth but to jump to a 552, I can’t help but think you would get more musical satisfaction taking a more balanced approach.
Go for a 552 and I guarantee within a very short space of time you will be thinking blimey what if I have speakers that can really make things shine.

Good luck.

:+1:t2:

1 Like

I’m not disagreeing to be awkward but straight to a 552 would potentially show up the limitations in his current sources.

I don’t know much about his turntable but I used an ND5XS through a 252 for a short while and it wasn’t great. I also still had a Rega RP3 for occasional use but when I got my 552 I listened to it once and moved it on.

You may of course blame my speakers not the source :joy:

My opinion, and it is just that, is if the OP wants to ultimately get to 552 level then I would upgrade in the following order source, preamp, then speakers.

As I said though. I don’t know much about turntables. If his current one is at 552 level and is his main listening source, your suggestion may well be correct.

I am thinking it looks like 552 and Rega P10 or Linn at the same time.

What speaker upgrade are you all thinking ??

A P10 with Aphelion and a 552 would be great with your 250DR and PMCs. There is no need whatsoever to change your speakers. In fact I’d be looking at a 300DR or 500DR before thinking of changing them. Of course, you do have the issue that the ND5XS2 will be outclassed but if it’s a minor source that probably doesn’t matter greatly.

1 Like

Thankyou hungryH I was just feeling more confused than ever.

Can I ask would you do the turntable or 552 first ?
Have also thought about a 252 with supercap as this would be flexible as at upgrade I could keep the supercap for the phono power

I am not so bothered about the streamer or cd. They always sound a little brash to me compared with vinyl.

Why exactly is it hilarious? There are many people with great experience who use such systems and are totally content. It’s those with big expensive speakers and much lesser electronics who are usually the dissatisfied ones. It’s really not wise to laugh at others: you may well find that they know more than you.

3 Likes

Hungry any comments on mine above your comment re hilerous. Don’t want to start an argument about it he he

The problem you have is that the 202 and 250 are not a good match. I’ve owned a 552 and it’s a wonderful preamp - massively better than the 252. If you are going to get the P10 and the 552 I really wouldn’t worry if a bargain 552 pops up before you get around to the better TT. Ideally it’s TT first but needs must sometimes. And you really don’t need to worry about the speakers. They are absolutely fine. Just focus on the preamp and the source. That’s where the quality comes from, speakers just do what they are told.

2 Likes

Thanks Hungry. It’s does sound logical to me.

Is it ok to put the NAC 552 on-top of its power supply or should they be separated

Clearly I must be missing something!

Don’t get me wrong, I am a believer in source first and the can’t get out better than you put in philosophy, but the speakers are still the part that translates all that signal into what you hear and is ultimately the item that has a “voice”

I can’t help but feel Twenty5 26’s would be more appropriate or Facts if staying with PMC.

A decent rack with enough shelves for every item should be right at the top of your shopping list. A system of this calibre absolutely needs to be set up carefully if you want it to perform at anywhere near its full potential. A dealer will be a huge benefit with this.

They are PMC 26s !

I guess you just have to decide what order to do things in

The Twenty5 26 is a different speaker to the 26 and certainly superior. From your comment I am now confused as to what one you are using?

Have you heard the 20.26’s ? They aren’t that far away from the 25.26’s. I haven’t heard the new i series yet though.

Back when I bought the 20.26’s (2014 I think) their list price (as price not how they sound which seems to how you are judging them) was £5750. Inflate that to today’s money and that is comparable to the price of the current i series incarnation of the speaker.

HH is correct above when he’s says it is over specc’d speaker with inferior electronics would be more of an issue.

I didn’t come on here have my speakers laughed at. Rather to give advice to a guy who has the same speakers I do.

1 Like

I didn’t say the speakers are bad speakers, I said they would be what I would change if upgrading.
I laughed at the thought of the equipment costs vs the speakers.

Each to their own. To me and my mind it’s like driving a mini with a Ferrari engine… :man_shrugging:

As far as I can see there is no such speaker as PMC Twenty 26. They are PMC Twenty5 26. The newer model is PMC Twenty5 26i.

There is a difference with cross overs and drivers but very similar price.

I will take a pic later to clarify but they are 3 way floor standers.
Think in any event think I am going to start with TT and pre and then move onto speakers if needed.

1 Like

In any event what speakers would you put with a P10, NAC 552 and NAP250DR

And going right back to one of my original posts I said I wouldn’t upgrade the speakers first not I wouldn’t upgrade the speakers at all.

I’d rather get the electronics I want first and then consider speakers. My 552 and ND555 are relatively recent purchases. Now I want to pause for breath, enjoy what I’ve got and allow funds to recover before listening to new speakers.

It’s a forum and people aren’t always going to agree, that’s fine.

2 Likes