Upgrade Path

I’ve been happy enough with Tidal on my 272. Don’t feel I’m missing out.

1 Like

Thanks I think those are the two most logical priorities. The NDS can be done quickly and start saving for the Kudos.

1 Like

The speaker change will make a huge difference to the sound of your system. Going from bookshelf to quality floorstanders will really change the dynamics. This may be all you need.

You could then leave it for a few years and review what you want to do.

It’s good to have a break sometimes and just enjoy what you have !

1 Like

Yes indeed. I’m sure the 500 series would sound immense but I need to put the brakes on at some point! The SC is due a service in 2 years and the 300 in 5 years. Might just wait and DR them then.

1 Like

It sounds like a good plan @Stu299. It’s a case of knowing when to be fully content with your system.

Listening to my LP12 right now and am enjoying the music so much.

Must say I’m pretty satisfied right now and am not sure if I will do the 552 500. May well go 52 and keep the 135s. Or stay put.

The NDS and speaker change will keep you satisfied for a good while hopefully.

Enjoy the NDS when you get it. It’s a bit special and weighs a fair bit. Quality piece of kit and it is a bargain.

“It’s a case of knowing when to be fully content with your system.”

Never truer words said I feel :+1:

1 Like

Can I just check, is the NDS Naim app functionality very close to the 272? I use Tidal.

With the pre amp and PS now redundant and used NDS going for not a huge amount more than 272 it’s seems a very cost effective for the outlay. Just wondering in case I’m missing something here.

I have not used the 272 but can confirm the NDS works fine with Tidal via the apps on both Android and iPad.

I’d agree your most cost effective upgrade just now is probably a good s/h NDS especially as you have the 555PS. A DR upgrade to the 252 SC definitely lifted my system when I did it but I would go source-first just now.

Personally I also found an SL interconnect from NDS to 252 was a good step. I am aware of the whole cable and interconnect rabbit hole! Easy to audition anyway.

Bruce

1 Like

The function of the app is essentially the same with 272 and NDS. The only difference is that the NDS, having no volume control, uses System Automation to access your preamps volume pot. It’s not as slick, but it works.

1 Like

Why not replace the 272 with either an NDS or an NDX2 and stop there?

An NDX2 has become a bit of a stretch for the time being but an NDS is affordable. That will probably then be it for some time but the system already sounds great so I’m not complaining. I think the DR can wait until a service becomes due leaving speakers for if and when funds allow.

2 Likes

NDS arriving next week :grimacing:

Sold the 272 and I’ve now got a spare burndy which I can sell. The cost of this upgrade will be a few hundred all told.

The NDS is 2015 from Naim dealer, “immaculate” with 12 months warranty.

Be good to get the 555 PS firing on all cylinders too :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Makes complete sense, cheap upgrade with (hopefully) big results.

2 Likes

Cheap yeah. Well apart from the 252, the SC… :laughing:

I wonder what to expect from it :thinking:

I’ll be sorry to see the 272 go tho. It’s an amazing machine and the first step on my Naim journey

NDS arrived and installed. Condition is perfect as described and all original packaging, unused remote still sealed, but no rubber feet :thinking:

Any ideas why they might have been removed?

Haven’t had a chance to listen yet

Not sure about the NDS, but I think all units with internal suspensions have metal feet, and as far as I can feel under my Superline they are the same as in your pic.

2 Likes

Ah ok that’s helpful thanks.

There’s a hollow space within which means you can attach transparent bump-ons to a glass shelf that can then fit within the feet (important they don’t touch the feet though). That way there’s no chance of the unit accidentally being pushed or pulled off the shelf by children etc…

2 Likes

Great thanks both for clearing that up.

It’s sounds absolutely stunning by the way :grin:

PS the transit bolts were in when I turned it to take that pic!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.