Upgrade, Pre-amp or Source

Hi Marcusman! I can report categorically that the NAP200 drives the 805d3’s without any difficulty. I know some on here don’t like B&Ws but they sound extremely good on my system. I would mention however that they do also benefit from an elderly REL Strata 3 which on its lowest setting is enough to get very deep but without losing control. I have read elsewhere that the 805s work well with a sub woofer. My LP12 sounds amazing. I am looking forward to hearing what by all accounts a significant improvement from the 282 and the NDX2. I have not streamed music before but I am always on the lookout for new/different artists. Radio Paradise is a very good place for that!

1 Like

I am pretty sure a 252/SC/200 will easily see off a 202/Hicap/250DR. In the days when I used to do shoot-offs on a weekly basis I certainly found that the 552/150 stomped all over a 112/Supercap/500.
So my suggestion is to try a SC with the 202, maybe with a NAPSC. This will already be major improvement over the 200 powered 202, and will leave you well poised to migrate to a 282, or preferably a 52/252.

1 Like

Thanks Inmyname. I like the 805d3’s as well, especially the looks of the prestige edition. On the plus side, they are easily moved on here in the States. I think you’ll enjoy streaming. Enjoy

Thanks for that!

1 Like

Interesting idea. My ultimate goal is most likely 252/SC/300DR but I think that is a long way off. I could of course miss out the 250 and go straight to 300 when I upgrade the power amp! 300s are pricey though!!

@Inmynaim for me source first and AMP - with @anon4489532 I would go 282 and 250DR, I powered my 805 with 200 but as in another thread they do like control

I went from 200 to 300 non DR and then DR at mothership - the 282 was more than happy with the 300 in my system

another route would be source, LP12 or NDX2 - depends on budget and what source you use the most or which gives you the most personal music?? I still have NDX on 252/300 but only use it for UpNP and Iradio, my main source is LP12 which is climax level which I have but the most ££ into

enjoy the music and the journey!!

1 Like

Hi Antz! I have been offered a very reasonable deal on an NDX2 and 282 which I am inclined to go for. The 282/200 combo by all accounts works much better than 202/250. A 250dr will follow next year most likely unless I can stretch to a 300! Even though my LP12 hasn’t benefited from any of the many upgrades available I am certain that sq will improve significantly with the 282.

I would take a 282 first, even before NDX2.

Looks like its going to be both!

I have decided to err on the side of caution. A 282 ex demo has been ordered and will allegedly arrive tomorrow. In the words of the extremely irritating TV ad, exciting times!

1 Like

well I would still go for the NDX2 as well once the 282 is in situ, because the HDX is on the old software platform, and the NDX2/XPSDR will sound superb. Plus you get the Tidal,spotify and google chrome cast. It’s really worth it.

That is certainly the plan. I decided that getting the 282 and NDX2 at the same time was just a bit of a strain on the finances. These lovely black boxes aint cheap! I’m very interested to explore the streaming world thoroughly!

1 Like

282/200 will work, I have had that combo, with HcDR on 282, by upgrading 282 will add to whole system

I would draw up a plan budget and work towards your goal, taken me 20 years to get to my system

Enjoying the journey

The Hicap is a great piece of kit and it has made quite a difference to my system already. Would have bought an NDX2 as well but would have been a step to far atm. I have an idea it will take a few years to get where I want to be - a 5 year plan maybe!! I am already pleased with my 202/200/HCDR a big improvement on my old audiolabs! I’m looking forward to rediscovering some o my favourites. By a mixture of luck and judgement every upgrade over the years has resulted in an improvement in SQ. Long may it continue!

2 Likes

282 ha been plumbed in this afternoon. Difference in detail immediate but after an hour or so sounding better and better as the whole system is beginning to warm up. The depth of detail is now going to another level. Music has more atmosphere and is giving me spine shivers - always a good time. To anyone thinking of upgrading from the very respectable 202, don’t hesitate just do it. You will not regret! There will be a lot of favourites played over the next few days, and I haven’t even tried my LP12 yet!!

3 Likes

Enjoy 282 is a great pre just more music and detail

1 Like

Certainly is! I have also noticed that the performance at higher volumes is no longer uncomfortable to listen to. Everything has improved across the board. Will have to see when I can afford an NDX2 now!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.