Upgrade Solstice

Yes, that was what I was afraid of with the “threaded” operation of the counterweight.
Good to know that reversing it gives us a bit more latitude for adjustment.
Which offset arc are you using with the DV?

The one illustrated in the pics Varyat. It’s the one Naim supply for the ARO2. Final check with double null point gauge.

Thanks for the updates :grinning: :+1:

1 Like

Thanks Mark

Hi guys,
It was a pleasure to work on Robs turntable today, and it was interesting to observe how the Naim cartridge was putting the Aro out of alignment on the Naim template.
A movement of a few MM forward in the head shell rectified this (making the 3rd bolt unusable).
The practice was fairly academic in our case as I was there to fit the wonderful Dynavector XV-1t which went on a like a dream and didnt cause any problems setting up, apart from the Aro’s reluctance to sit at the correct tracking force (Rob suggested moving the weight forward and winding it back, which worked a treat).
Once the correct azimuth, and SRA were set up, we needed to listen to a good few tracks to see how well the Solstice sounded with the upgrade and we were both very happy with the outcome.

I have to say that Robs system as a whole sounds absolutely amazing whatever genre you’d care to try it with… easily one of the top systems I’ve had the pleasure of listening to.

5 Likes

Is it something Naim haven’t observed himself ? Or is it just an observation from your installer, in a normal set up process ?

1 Like

I spotted it. I was so surprised that I simply wanted confirmation before posting anything.

2 Likes

How many Solstices have been installed based on an assumption that the overhang must be correct as the cartridge is pre fitted?

1 Like

We seem to be saying here that, as designed, the Aro and Equinox do not give correct alignment, according to the protractor supplied with the package. So either the hole in the Aro headshell, or the screw thread in the Equinox, are in the wrong place. Can that really be correct? Surely Clearaudio know what they are doing?

Correct and that’s why I wanted confirmation

That’s not good. Even my manky old Rega is properly aligned with its third bolt in place.

1 Like

I have a friend who builds turntables as a hobby and I sent him pics in the first instance . He told me that my findings were correct . Cartridge positioned wrong in the head shell when fixed at three points

However the deck and arm are superb products . Great designs. Top drawer sound as Simon described

1 Like

@Richard.Dane - Richard, do you know which protractor arc alignment is used to set overhang on the Solstice? Lofgren A, Stevenson?

1 Like

It’s clearly wrong in your first picture, assuming that the protractor is correctly designed of course.

Well after set up with Naim template both Equinox and DV lined up with the dual null point grid. Baerwald and Stevenson. The usual overhang for a 9” arm is around 17mm as per Naim ARO template

I recall my dealer having a similar set up problem as per instructions……Jason Gould was called in, sorted. Perhaps try and contact him via dealer or Naim switchboard?

No, I haven’t even seen the Solstice yet. Jas and I are trying to sort out a date that I can get down to the factory to go through it.

2 Likes

I don’t need to contact Jason or anyone at Naim Gaza because I now use a a DV which has just the two fixing points and was fitted comfortably using the ARO overhang gauge and we confirmed that the Arc was correct with a dual null point gauge and Simons Project cartridge alignment gauge. (The £100 at retail one)

Solstice owners with Equinox are a different matter. I’m sure that Jas Gould will have the answer. He’s one of the top two people, knowledge and character wise, that I’ve met in the hifi industry. But it was clear to me that after I released the third bolt a couple of weeks ago and moved the Equinox forward into the correct position per Naim gauge the sound improved noticeably. Surface noise dropped to really low levels also. The Equinox is actually a very good cartridge if it retails as has been suggested at @£2k.

I repeat that IMO the turntable and arm are brilliant designs. I wouldn’t swap them for any LP12 combo and I’m a big fan of the Linn. Mr George’s involvement in design seems obvious. Now retired he will be missed.

2 Likes

It does indeed look like an incredible turntable and the fact that it comes with Aro2 tonearm is more than enough to make me want to hear it. But this still strikes me as a serious matter - 500 customers may be using the wrong geometry and therefore not getting the full potential. I think Naim should advise.

2 Likes