Upgrade to a Supercap (olive) or Karousel for the Linn?

One side of the LP12 mat sounds better than the other.

2 Likes

Again, I think you have to look at the actual cost and whether or not and how you want to upgrade which components in the future.

Class A normally give ‘service invoices’ detailing the service, if you go for the Supercap ensure you have that paperwork. WIth a 2018 service date I’d imagine a very healthy resale cost if you decided there was little benefit over 2 HICAPs.

1 Like

Excellent point @djh1697

I made that same call, the LP12 is now at the dealer for maintenance to make sure it will perform optimally within its current configuration, but for now that’s the end of the road.

There have been several posts and threads about the paradox of vinyl - how rewarding it can be but also the level of attention and dedication it requires for that reward. As with some others I often don’t have enough room for that anymore in my current life, whereas before it was a life style.

So, future plans and upgrades will go into a streaming source. This to replace the FM tuner we miss dearly with internet radio, to have access to the Spotify (lo-res) and Qobuz (lossless) catalogues, and to play from a (large) USB stick the complete CD collection we ripped some time ago.

Food for thought indeed…

1 Like

Serviced in 2018 probably not bad at all compared to around £5k for a new DR model - try to get a feel from somewhere like TomTom Audio what these ‘pre-loved’ items go for.

Bear in mind the 82/282 only uses a subset of the circuitry in the Supercap compared to a 52/252 but it opens the door to a 52 or 252 (with additional cables, unless this had a Burndy of some sort included).

1 Like

No Burndy but will include a couple of SNAICS.

Out of interest are all Burndys the same…I have a spare Burndy that came with the XPS2… Would that work with a SC and 52 for example?

A couple of SNAICs adds value too, I don’t think the Supercap came with any. The DR doesn’t.

Sadly Burndy cables are specific to certain categories of components so a Burndy for a NAC 252 would be different to one used with a current SNAXO.

1 Like

@Richard.Dane

I’m fairly sure someone linked to a list of Burndy types a few months ago, I can’t recall the thread.

If it’s not in the current forum FAQ it would be a good addition.

If it’s there already I’m going to feel daft.

1 Like

The ideal situation would be if the vendor would allow you to try the Supercap first with a no quibble return policy if it wasn’t what you expected.

Would the vendor (if a reseller) allow trade-in on the HICAPs assuming they’d be surplus to requirements?

So as some of you may have gathered I’m airing towards the SC at the moment as its a) available, b) will improve SQ for both sources (hopefully) and c) the Karousel will be around for a while so there is no hurry and will probably sell one of my cameras to fund the Karousel/Trioka upgrade.

Its its a private seller I don’t think the trial is a goer!

4 Likes

A SuperCap will benefit your whole system - whatever the input… :thinking:

2 Likes

I can’t recall or find anything.

Yes, I’d like to do a Burndy ID thread but I only have an S-XPS and a NAC552 Burndy here to photograph.

1 Like

No, they are all different - some may look similar but the pin layouts and number will be different.

2 Likes

A shame but ultimately probably understandable.

I’ve seen elsewhere:

Naim Burndy S-XPS 11 Pin Interconnect Cable - 1.25 Metre

The Naim Burndy 11 Pin is designed for connecting the XPS power supply to a CD Player.

This Burndy is compatible with Power Supplies: XPS, CDPS, XPS 2, 555 PS
CD Players: CDX, CDS 2, CDX 2, CDS3

Naim Burndy SNAXO / SuperLine 17 Pin Interconnect Cable - 1.25 Metre

The Naim Burndy 17 Pin is designed for connecting the SNAXO Electronic Crossovers or SuperLine Phono Stage to a SuperCap Power Supply.

NAP 300DR

Supplied with 300PS, Burndy

NAC 252

Not sure but can’t see that has its own Burndy supplied.

Presumably others too.

1 Like

Also:

NAC 52

Does that come with the 52? Not sure if it differs from the 252 one.

Naim CDSPS to CDS

Naim CDSPS to CDS2

I have one of these. Again not sure if it differs from an XPS to CDS2 one. At the time I think I was told I needed a special order one.

Surely Naim has all this written down somewhere?

1 Like

Ideally there’d be an easy to reference Burndy guide for consumers and dealers otherwise people risk a very expensive purchase only to find they are missing an essential £500+ ‘interconect’.

1 Like

So the Super cap arrived today……just warming through before I hook it up tomorrow….will let you know what happens.
Been having some more thoughts on the refurb Troika.
What are peoples thoughts. Better than the DV 20X 2? Much of an improvement?

1 Like

I’ve had both the DV 20x2L and a Goldring-rebuilt Troika – my feeling is that they have different strengths, rather than one being unequivocally better than the other.

Compared directly on my LP12/ARO, the DV was big, warm, and bouncy; the Troika was definitely more detailed and neutral, but also smaller-sounding. Going from the DV to the Troika was rather like looking through binoculars and then sharpening up the focus, if that makes sense.

Bottom line: the DV was more fun, the Troika more hi-fi – so it really depends on your mood and preferences!

3 Likes

Just found it again - not a link but an image:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.