Upgrade to a Supercap (olive) or Karousel for the Linn?

One side of the LP12 mat sounds better than the other.

2 Likes

Again, I think you have to look at the actual cost and whether or not and how you want to upgrade which components in the future.

Class A normally give ā€˜service invoicesā€™ detailing the service, if you go for the Supercap ensure you have that paperwork. WIth a 2018 service date Iā€™d imagine a very healthy resale cost if you decided there was little benefit over 2 HICAPs.

1 Like

Excellent point @djh1697

I made that same call, the LP12 is now at the dealer for maintenance to make sure it will perform optimally within its current configuration, but for now thatā€™s the end of the road.

There have been several posts and threads about the paradox of vinyl - how rewarding it can be but also the level of attention and dedication it requires for that reward. As with some others I often donā€™t have enough room for that anymore in my current life, whereas before it was a life style.

So, future plans and upgrades will go into a streaming source. This to replace the FM tuner we miss dearly with internet radio, to have access to the Spotify (lo-res) and Qobuz (lossless) catalogues, and to play from a (large) USB stick the complete CD collection we ripped some time ago.

Food for thought indeedā€¦

1 Like

Serviced in 2018 probably not bad at all compared to around Ā£5k for a new DR model - try to get a feel from somewhere like TomTom Audio what these ā€˜pre-lovedā€™ items go for.

Bear in mind the 82/282 only uses a subset of the circuitry in the Supercap compared to a 52/252 but it opens the door to a 52 or 252 (with additional cables, unless this had a Burndy of some sort included).

1 Like

No Burndy but will include a couple of SNAICS.

Out of interest are all Burndys the sameā€¦I have a spare Burndy that came with the XPS2ā€¦ Would that work with a SC and 52 for example?

A couple of SNAICs adds value too, I donā€™t think the Supercap came with any. The DR doesnā€™t.

Sadly Burndy cables are specific to certain categories of components so a Burndy for a NAC 252 would be different to one used with a current SNAXO.

1 Like

@Richard.Dane

Iā€™m fairly sure someone linked to a list of Burndy types a few months ago, I canā€™t recall the thread.

If itā€™s not in the current forum FAQ it would be a good addition.

If itā€™s there already Iā€™m going to feel daft.

1 Like

The ideal situation would be if the vendor would allow you to try the Supercap first with a no quibble return policy if it wasnā€™t what you expected.

Would the vendor (if a reseller) allow trade-in on the HICAPs assuming theyā€™d be surplus to requirements?

So as some of you may have gathered Iā€™m airing towards the SC at the moment as its a) available, b) will improve SQ for both sources (hopefully) and c) the Karousel will be around for a while so there is no hurry and will probably sell one of my cameras to fund the Karousel/Trioka upgrade.

Its its a private seller I donā€™t think the trial is a goer!

4 Likes

A SuperCap will benefit your whole system - whatever the inputā€¦ :thinking:

2 Likes

I canā€™t recall or find anything.

Yes, Iā€™d like to do a Burndy ID thread but I only have an S-XPS and a NAC552 Burndy here to photograph.

1 Like

No, they are all different - some may look similar but the pin layouts and number will be different.

2 Likes

A shame but ultimately probably understandable.

Iā€™ve seen elsewhere:

Naim Burndy S-XPS 11 Pin Interconnect Cable - 1.25 Metre

The Naim Burndy 11 Pin is designed for connecting the XPS power supply to a CD Player.

This Burndy is compatible with Power Supplies: XPS, CDPS, XPS 2, 555 PS
CD Players: CDX, CDS 2, CDX 2, CDS3

Naim Burndy SNAXO / SuperLine 17 Pin Interconnect Cable - 1.25 Metre

The Naim Burndy 17 Pin is designed for connecting the SNAXO Electronic Crossovers or SuperLine Phono Stage to a SuperCap Power Supply.

NAP 300DR

Supplied with 300PS, Burndy

NAC 252

Not sure but canā€™t see that has its own Burndy supplied.

Presumably others too.

1 Like

Also:

NAC 52

Does that come with the 52? Not sure if it differs from the 252 one.

Naim CDSPS to CDS

Naim CDSPS to CDS2

I have one of these. Again not sure if it differs from an XPS to CDS2 one. At the time I think I was told I needed a special order one.

Surely Naim has all this written down somewhere?

1 Like

Ideally thereā€™d be an easy to reference Burndy guide for consumers and dealers otherwise people risk a very expensive purchase only to find they are missing an essential Ā£500+ ā€˜interconectā€™.

1 Like

So the Super cap arrived todayā€¦ā€¦just warming through before I hook it up tomorrowā€¦.will let you know what happens.
Been having some more thoughts on the refurb Troika.
What are peoples thoughts. Better than the DV 20X 2? Much of an improvement?

1 Like

Iā€™ve had both the DV 20x2L and a Goldring-rebuilt Troika ā€“ my feeling is that they have different strengths, rather than one being unequivocally better than the other.

Compared directly on my LP12/ARO, the DV was big, warm, and bouncy; the Troika was definitely more detailed and neutral, but also smaller-sounding. Going from the DV to the Troika was rather like looking through binoculars and then sharpening up the focus, if that makes sense.

Bottom line: the DV was more fun, the Troika more hi-fi ā€“ so it really depends on your mood and preferences!

3 Likes

Just found it again - not a link but an image:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.