Upgrade to Chord Sarum T or ChordMusic power cable

Interestingly the comments about the cable that shall not be naimed, from last week was better hifi less Naim, but others seem to disagree. Unfortunate since I had hoped I was close to being over my costly cable infection.

@FangfossFlyer interesting comments. Thanks. I notice you use music interconnects though and SL speaker cable. I guess the music speaker cables were not enough of an upgrade over SL also?

Hi,
I never dem’d Music speaker cables as their price was far too much for the lengths I required and also because I was happy with my SLs.
All the best,
Richard

1 Like

I do get what you’re saying, but Music might just let the 252 do what it was supposed to do in the first place. I hold a similar view of the 252 as you but I recall when I first starting hearing what the top Chord cables, Sarum TA at the time, could do I was using a 52 and it was pretty sensational.

In fact, just before the 500DR came out and I was using a 300, I preferred the DR upgrade, which had just become available, and Music Din-XLRs to an “old” 500. No question in my mind that the 500DR is a massive upgrade but I’d still happily use a 300DR/Chord combo if it hadn’t been developed. As it is, the 500DR AND Music cables really show quite how fabulous Naim amps are.

1 Like

a chord music power cable is 5000 GBP

I would rather much spend this kind of cash on improving my sources.

About 252 doing what it was supposed to do in the first place, well… the 252 is supposed to sound the way it does, with the standard cable that ships with it.

and no expensive power cable on the supercap is going to transform it in a 552.

About a 500DR and a 5000 GBP Chord music power cable, completely disagree.

The 500 DR sounds just great to me with the powerline it ships with.

1 Like

Suspect you misread things. Never mind.

2 Likes

I started off as one of the “guinea pigs” when the first Sarum was released. It was a bumpy ride back then with a few cables finding their way back for “repair and further development”. Once things were straightened out my Sarum was upgraded to SuperSarum and then ultimately I now run Music between my KDS and Urika into the 552…

The one cable which never thrilled me was the Sarum DIN/XLR on the 500. In fact my version is still the original Sarum and not SuperSarum - which I believe has been replaced with Sarum T.
Now that my black boxes are with Chris W being recapped and DR’d I am wondering if I should just keep the Sarum XLR or call my dealer and have it upgraded to Sarum T. Remember of all the cables the DIN/XLR impressed me the least.

SL din to xlr is not a thriller either, bottom of my upgrade list.

You were over there, I was over here, but it sounds like we were both guinea pigs.

Like you, I’m using Music between my sources and 552 (without changing them completely, I’m at the end of my “source” journey at this point) but I wonder whether the Din XLR cables had such an impact with me because I was already using Sarum speaker cables? Certainly, they (Din XLRs) were a big upgrade but I’d already swapped my speaker cables at that stage.

I guess the other “cable that cannot be named” is the Din Din on the 552. Again, big upgrade, sufficiently impressive at a Sarum T level to make me consider moving up to Music.

1 Like

I think the cable that cannot be named is a just released one which starts with the second letter of the alphabet.

Funny about the D D cable (also which cannot get named?). Although I am still using the stock version I remember the demo of Sarum version of this cable years ago when my dealer was here on one of his trips. It made no sense when you think about what the cable does however there was definitely an easily discernable improvement.

Dave - are you David J?

There are 2 unnamable cables, including the one beginning with B as you correctly surmise and, yes, that’ll be me. I’ll email you.

WH cables?

Sorry, FR, that was a confusing statement from me. The other unnameable cable is a Sarum T Din-Din but it’s where it’s used. It’s not something that affects you as you don’t use a 552.

I don’t understand the point of the unnameable cable. A brand that you can’t name because of forum rules or unauthorized modifications?
Just curious, but yes, it doesn’t affect me having not a 552.

From the rules - “ We do not permit discussion of modifications to internal components of Naim equipment and this also extends, at the Moderators’ discretion, to products from other manufacturers. This also applies to discussion of companies who undertake unauthorised modifications to Naim equipment.

Modification extends to the use of 3rd party or home-made power supplies and any cabling that carries DC power between Naim equipment.”

If a company produces a cable that carries power between Naim boxes Naim ask we don’t talk about it.

Even if it’s a Chord cable?

Chord are a 3rd party.

1 Like

You mean unnaimable

4 Likes

Yes, FR. Although Chord began as a manufacturer of cables specifically for use with Naim (the founder of Chord was married to Naim’s MD at the time), it’s not permissible to discuss the cable in this particular context.

1 Like

Sometimes some brands are automatically filtered, other not.
When I was discussing about linear ps for the Unitserve, the Israeli unnameable one was not allowed to be written.
But hpllex, Uptone audio, Sbooster , no problem.