Upgrade yes or not

When the wise man say: solution is so simple that you are not able to see it.
Thank for replying emrei.
Much appreciated each comment and help.

1 Like

Thanks Ian.
I know my nd5xs is at a lower level from the amplification, but this is the consequence of the latest upgrade done. Before this setup I ran xs-2 with the nd5xs and all was more balanced.
In my mind when ditched xs-2 for Sn2 the following upgrade was the source, never thought to find so many problem to sell it.
Just to be trasparent, other source is a cd, cyrus cdi, which I think is a little monster. I prefer to listen to it instead of nd5xs by now.

If you were to upgrade the DAC element for the streamer, could that also apply to the CD player?

Glad you like the Cyrus, I have run Cyrus myself and one of the best systems I ever hears was a Cyrus Dual Mono into Wilson Bensch Arc speakers

1 Like

Hi, yes hoping the NDX2 will make t sound amazing. The 200DR is in no way outclassed by the 282 and the combination works very well. I get lots of detail and a great soundstage. I have decided to get the ndx2 rather than a 250 because of the connectivity, and the great sound already achieved by the 282/200. I do have the advantage though of having an old REL subwoofer which really fills out the bottom end!

I ran my 282/HC for many years with my 200. Excellent pairing.

Regards,

Lindsay

The 282 is higher up the range and obviously needs a power amp too. I think 2004 would be too old for my tastes. I think you can get much more with you newish SN2 with a better source.

A 2004 282 will need a service and then it should be as good as new! Just need to factor in these costs and see whether it is worth it or if you can can get a newer 282.

Itā€™s a personal matter, I have been happy to buy older units but I get them serviced and feel that I save money overall that way.

Others here prefer new or nearly new which I can quite understand.

Does the sound quality change between a 2004 serviced unit and a new one: it should be as good.

2 Likes

Buying an old piece and giving it a deserved service feels like making this planet a better place.

6 Likes

Nobody mention 272 / 250, very strange.
Interesting to know the reasonā€¦
It would be a suitable solution and not to much expensive.

Because the old streaming platform has compatibility issues with Tidal, Qobuz, etc.

I have an NDS which shares the same streaming platform as the 272, NDX and ND5XS. It is good for local streaming, Internet radio and Spotify. With Tidal and Qobuz it doesnā€™t work at all or doesnā€™t work so well.

The newer streamers are compatible with everything pretty much. This is why the older streaming platform is not being recommended.

1 Like

Why does it have to be Naim? There are many excellent streamers out there for a lot less money than an NDX2 unfortunately the Nd5xs sells for as little as Ā£650 now so you have a lot of saving to do if you stick with Naim.

Hi Dan. I have an NDS as well, and I find that Tidal sounds fairly good thru it. No where near as good as my Linn Unidisk 1.1 (with the Dyanamik PS upgrade), but nothing sounds as good as that did. I moved it on while I could still get a decent price for it. I donā€™t ever expect digital music to sound as good as it did thru the Linn, but with everything Iā€™ve heard so far since then, I thought that the Tidal was quite good.

At some point, Iā€™ll pick up a pre-owned ND5 XS2 to feed the NDS with the new Naim digital tech, but I have a little while on that as Qobuz isnā€™t available in Canada as of yet. (Weā€™re a bit of an outpost, yā€™know).

I havenā€™t had any issues with Tidal compatibility, or not working, I just think that it could maybe sound a bit better. But then again, I believe Iā€™m still missing my Ljnn CDP. However, I love the convenience of Tidal thru the Naim App and my tablet.

Dave

1 Like

I usually use the nd5xs only for local upnp and very few times for tidal which has been included native.
Do you think that, even if native, Tidal is streamed in a worse way, so evident, then the new streamer? I use it 85% upnp and 15% tidal

I was wondering about a price of 1000 ā‚¬, for nd5xs. Am i wrong?

Possibly in Europe but here in the UK the last two Iā€™ve seen where around Ā£650 GBP.
Surprising I know I sold mine for Ā£1400 about three years ago but technology moves fast in streaming and older streamers/dacs loose money.

1 Like

Within a few hours of buying a second hand UnitQute I discovered the Naim app doesnā€™t work on legacy products .

I use it as DAC only. I must admit that I have found the programming of this machine ā€œvexingā€ among other issues .

I didnā€™t realise that Ian thatā€™s why prices have dropped maybe.

The app works fine on my Uniti2ā€¦

The Naim app works perfectly on legacy products and does exactly what itā€™s always done as well as working better generally. Your assertion is incorrect and it would be unfortunate if people made decisions based on it.

It works very nicely on my UQ2, and Mu-So.

I would suggest you contact Naim tech support if itā€™s not working with your Unitiqute as thereā€™s obviously a problem somewhere.