Upgraded to NDX2 & SN3 - now for the speakers

Hi Corby

I have the SN3/HiCapDr with the Neat Ministra standmount Speakers

It’s a fantastic combination, I’m a huge fan of Naim/Neat combos they just seem to fit perfectly

The UK speaker stand manufacture Custom Design make the FS104 signature stand which goes perfectly with the Ministra’s.

If you can give them a listen with your Naim gear

Cheers

Bevo

2 Likes

[quote=“Gorby, post:1, topic:16023”]
ideally stand mounters (room is approx 5m x 6m) and a budget of up to £4k.[/quote]

Focal’s Aria 926 and Kanta 1’s are also worth bearing in mind.

I had exactly the same path: from Atom+LS50 to SN3+NDX2. Have chose the Passive ATC SCM40: a great combination for the mids (which is their signature) and the bass. Any listening was upgraded, as they say “I have rediscovered my music”. LS50 were great speakers and I still have them in my second system but ATCs definitely brought the music to the next level!

2 Likes

Agreed. There seems to be some rather speaker heavy suggestions in some of the posts above, in which case i’d be more tempted to concentrate on the ‘source’ power supplies and/pre-power combos first before going down the speaker route. It can be quite tempting to get carried away and start building a system backwards. Sticking with efficient, easier-to-drive and simpler designs with a SN3 will gain more satisfying results in the long run. In my experience knowing where one is going with their system first, and then doing the speakers last, is more likely to give the listener a more highly engaging system if sticking with what they already have. Just saying…

4 Likes

Agreed Stephen - source and amplification first for me - always have been for over 35 years . Speakers last

3 Likes

Tend to agree with @Stephen_Tate and @Bevo above. That said I’d also be interested in what additional constraints @Gorby has, eg placement near walls, furniture, wall type, etc. The room is quite large by UK standards so perhaps floor standers? Music tastes may also be a factor, happy to admit I may have missed that in the trail above. Also does the OP have easy access to dealers who may be able to provide some demo speakers. Just saying…apologies in advance.

It is funny to read this. I really don t understand why building a system starting from the speaker can be labeld as backwards. For me this is the only way. Maybe someone can explain?

The speaker and your room is what will have the most dramatic sound difference, regardless of electronics (assuming you start with something which has enough power and is of decent quality).

So first of all the speaker must work in your room - if it doesn t, even crazy expensive electronics will not make it sound good.

Also i don t think it is helpful for the thread owner because he just upgraded to a SN3 / NDX2 so this is settled.

3 Likes

Because it is a much harder way to get things right from the get go. Any speaker can change dramatically from what’s being fed into it. Regardless of listener, music or room.

I’ve already suggested to the OP to give the dealers a call, that and my own experiences of pitching a speaker that may give the amp a hard time to try and satisfy an over expectant listener.

I don’t think it’s just a question of right and wrong. Where people do run into problems, though, is when they buy a good speaker without considering the quality of electronics required to run it. Used speakers lose value much more than amps and sources, and we often see people here asking what system they need to run their newly acquired bargain high end speakers. The forum, in its wisdom, might say that a NAP300 is required, so the hapless perchaser goes off and blows the budget on one, and only later realises that a matching preamp will cost the same again, and the same for the source. It’s a recipe for dissatisfaction if you haven’t budgeted for it.

3 Likes

It is an approach i have not tried for myself so i won t argue before actually listening.

However looking at your system, the budget you allocated to your speaker in relation to the rest of the components is really small. Let s say for the sake of the argument that it is around 10%. It is what many would consider as unbalanced.

I am sure that you maxed out what this speaker is capable of and are pleased with the results. Lets say you change the ratio you allocated to the speaker to 30% - get rid of the XPSDR and Hicap DR.

My intuition tell me that the system will overall sound better if you find a better speaker at that price point. Of course we assume that you have optimised its placement and your room for that speaker.

No, let’s not just say things and stab in the dark, but actually have done it. I started off with a CD5Si/NAIT5Si. Then upgraded to ND5 XS 2/NAIT XS 2. Then again upgrade with a HiCap DR, sold the NAIT XS2 and got a SN3 instead, now things really did start to improve. Sold the ND5 XS 2 and got a NDX 2, again big improvement. Finally got a XPS DR, biggest improvement of the lot. Same speakers. Now i may try different speakers, no rush yet though…Ironically i’ve built my system backwards. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Wow thats quite a journey :slight_smile:
You really must like these speakers!

1 Like

Yes i do like these speakers and maybe i should look for even better ones once my dealer has dealt with the on coming stampede. something tells me though that my SN3 may now be the weakest link, from an electronics perspective, who knows? :man_shrugging:

Only one way to find out!

Unfortunatly there is always a weakest link and i doubt chasing it would make you happier :slight_smile: Maybe just enjoy your system as it is! (says someone who switched speakers and systems a few times last year and just added a DAC).

1 Like

Standmounters for that budget well matched with Supernait 3:

1. Harbeth Compact 7-es3 or Monitor 30.2;
  2. Graham Audio 5/9;
  3. PMC 5.22i;
  4. ProAc Response D2r.

But maybe 30sq room is too much for standmounters?

2 Likes

Problem is the op has not said where he wants to go with his system.

Don’t forget he’s only just bought the NDX2 and SN3. Maybe he has no desire to upgrade further. Just needs better speakers to get full benefit from his new system.

In which case there is no problem in ‘theoretically’ overspending on new speakers. As long as he can do a home dem and he gets the sound he’s after.

It can work out , eg , I’m using £25k speakers with a £7 amp and £7k cd with complete satisfaction.

5 Likes

But he already has a source + amplification sorted. As far as I am aware, the room/listening position will not effect this.

He clearly needs speakers to match as per his opening post.

1 Like

Yes, to clarify, no plans to upgrade beyond sn3 & ndx2 but I will at some future date add a deck for my LP’s that are up in the attic somewhere. There are however a few mentions around hicap dr which I hadn’t considered :thinking:. I am conscious that I could end up chasing for the mythical perfect system along with diminishing returns. I guess I had thought the biggest bang for buck improvement would be the speakers but more than happy to be corrected on that…

1 Like

No need for you to be corrected on anything - it’s your money and your ears! Just have a few auditions and decide for yourself if an upgrade from your KEF’s is worth it. ATB

2 Likes

I have very similar room size…another vote for ATC SCM40 (passive).
And they will allow for any further upgrades if future plans change…(and in budget area).

Of course, a home demo of some short-listed speakers is the way to go…

Happy Sunday

2 Likes