Upgrading DAC section vs entering the world of vinyl?

@frenchrooster I didn’t know that true analogue LPs are mainly restricted in the time period before 1985. Yes, I plan to listen mostly to records after 1980-1985.

Even if LPs after 1985 are mainly from CD source they will be still played on a different music source (turntable system vs NDX/nDAC). If my future turntable setup has better SQ, wouldn’t it be worthy still to get LPs (of course at a much higher price). If not better, the sound from the turntable system might be at least different from the digital source. I think this is the other side of this argument, however I’m not sure how much is it worth it. If such LPs are used it may be mainly a visual experience and have different added value.

I made the tough decision to sell my aging RP3 and Naim CDP, and my LPs and focus on only Qobuz as a source.

I am very happy I made that decision and stuck to it single-mindedly, otherwise I’d have 2 or more mediocre sources, instead of one excellent one.

5 Likes

Maybe a Rega Rp3 / exact/ Rega phono would be enough, for occasional listenings and fun.
With something better, you can have a better sound than your digital rig, but I am not sure you will have a lot good sounding lps after that period.
Try to see if you can find a lot of audiophile remasters, from Pure Pleasure, Analog Productions, Mobile Fidelity…for your albums.
If yes, maybe a better turntable is a good choice.
Difficult to respond, because I am not you…:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I noticed I preferred my older LPs to newer ones. A friend reminded that older LPs were recorded as analogue while a lot of recent reissues are from digital remastering. I’m not saying this is a binary assessment but I was “blind” initially to the source of difference.

1 Like

Genuine question…whats your contingency if your network or Internet…or even Qobuz …goes down?

Another interesting aspect of this - digital vs vinyl - to consider…

At the heart of collecting (anything) is a deep routed human desire to collect, curate, catalogue and to own. Like stamps, or antiques. People get into these things and collect. So, aside from all the good points about different audible presentation, one of the really positive things about a record collection (and CD collection) is that you actually own the media. For all time. Not rented, leased, licensed or borrowed.

I happen to be really luck that both my adult children are musicians and are interested in music. So, I am content in the knowledge that when I am gone, our record collection of 2000+ albums will continue to be enjoyed as my legacy.

In-the-meantime, I “own” and enjoy the physical media. The very tactile nature of selecting, buying, collecting, curating and using a physical thing. And very much enjoying the different musical nature of vinyl. We have lots of albums on multiple formats. As reported above, it’s just interested to hear the difference. Often, the vinyl is preferred, but not always. (For the record - no pun intended - I also enjoy CD’s and stream too. So, no bias in that regard).

Hope that adds another interesting idea - owning a thing - to a worthwhile debate?

8 Likes

I am so glad you mention this.

Vinyl is a sum of the whole. The tactile experience adds a lot as well. Collecting then, placing one on the turntable, turning them over. I feel more connected with the music than with digital. Does not mean I do not listen to a LOT of streaming though. It is just that when a record plays I tend to listen to more full albums and rediscover nooks and dusty corners of the music I have not visited in a long while.

I have a lot of new vinyl, which, according to the comments above, should all be from digital source then. But the “decoding” is following a completely different path here. So I do think it is perfectly possible to still prefer the vinyl source still. The result cannot just be exactly the same. For me, when comparing a good vinyl copy to the digital version on my system the digital sounds more clinical, more crisp, more detailed but the vinyl sounds warmer and roomier and in some sense more real.

I read a comment once about vinyl where someone compared it to Agent Smith in the Matrix when he states that initial versions of the matrix was too perfect causing the humans inside to go insane. Perhaps that is the attraction of vinyl. The slight imperfections and foibles that as a whole creates a total package that resonates with something inside of us.

2 Likes

I agree generally for your post. However don’t forget that in your case you have also a much better analogue source than digital, Uniti Star vs Rp6/ ania pro/ aria.
I buy sometimes new albums on vinyl and some are very well made, even if they are hires transfer on lp. On my system, Nds/555dr/ Melco N1z2/ ER/ lps, the sound is very similar to my Rega Rp10/ Lyra Delos/ ear 912 ( more than half less expensive).
But with true very well analog lps, or Mobile Fidelity remasters, the lp sound is very highly superior to same albums on hires tracks.

1 Like

Not arguing at all. Kinda what I was alluding to I guess.

But this makes me think. My Star is converting the incoming analogue signal to digital and then back to analogue. Why would the result then be better even if the analog signal is superior? I assume it would use the same chipsets to do the business. So if it can encode/decode analog so well it should do the same job on digital, especially as I am streaming in already decoded PCM from Roon?

I can’t respond. All I can say is that your Rega analogue source is more on the level of a bare Ndx2 than Uniti Star.

1 Like

Not arguing with that at all. Just curious about still hearing the difference on the same piece of of equipment which is the limiting factor.

But despite all that I get enough joy out of vinyl to keep going and not upgrading anything else any time soon.

Of course, my point was not intended to invite you for upgraditis.
And if upgrades should be, it would be more on the digital side for you, and true analog amplifier too.
But it’s not an absolute necessity to enjoy the music.

1 Like

Hahaha I am on medication for this! LOL

In terms of relating to the OP’s initial question I’m trying to say that the choice for vinyl is not as easy as “does it sound better than digital” for everyone. It is more a question of does it sound and feel better for the observer and in/on their environment / system / budget.

2 Likes

The situation is a bit more complicated than you imply. Possible sources for LPs are multiple:

1. Pre c1981-5 all LPs were produced via an all analogue chain from analogue tapes.
  2. The tape from some older analogue recordings has been transferred into the digital domain (often because the original tapes are fragile). These digital sources can be successfully mastered for vinyl. (An example of this has been the Decca/London recordings of the Rolling Stones.)
  3. There is now a significant vinyl reissue market and many mainstream music companies use digital files for these issues, but they are not as lovingly mastered or pressed in comparison with issues in category 2.
  4. Some recent reissues on vinyl have gone back to the original analogue tapes for an AAA release. (An example of this would be the Beatles mono reissues, and is often the practice of the audiophile reissue companies - such as Mobile Fidelity and Speaker’s Corner). It is not always easy to establish which reissues actually are AAA.
  5. More recent digital recordings are now often issued on CD, download and vinyl. The vinyl issues vary a lot in quality and the quality of both sound and pressing depend on the priorities of the issuing company.
  6. Reputable companies do not literally use CD as a source - the digital files are necessary for proper mastering for vinyl. It happens most often when recordings have gone out of copyright and is not uncommon.

As you can see, the possibilities are quite complex and make an audible difference on a good quality turntable. To some extent you will have to try a variety of albums to get a feel for what sounds right to you. It is certainly worth checking online for what information there is about sources. Many companies are ambiguous about what they are up to - for example ‘restored from original tapes’ doesn’t necessarily mean all analogue as there can still be a digital step in the chain. If you want to have a look online you might try Michael Fremer’s Analogue Planet - he is a vinyl advocate but is not fundamentally opposed to well mastered vinyl from digital sources. There are also the Hoffman forums which have many obsessives arguing over the minutiae of recordings, pressings etc, but also contain a lot of interesting information. Just don’t take anything at face value!

5 Likes

I use a Superline and listen to vinyl at 10 o’clock and CD at 9 o’clock so I’d say the built in phono stage doesn’t sound up to it.
The lack of bass could be the result of an inadequate phono stage or it could be a characteristic of the cartridge. You can try to add bass by increasing the tracking force, within the manufacturers parameters of course.
A better deck with a separate phono stage would be a good place to start if it’s affordable.

it were me I would put as much money into the front end as I could and stretch for a P10/Aria. I have one fronting a meagre Uniti Nova and the combination sounds better than my 252/SC fronted by a CDS3/XPS2 which it replaced last year at less than half the cost. I also started with about 20 LP’s about 9 months ago left over from the 80’s but now have about 300. Its very addictive, the whole feel of taking a vinyl LP out of its gatefold sleeve and queing up a much more substantial vinyl record is a pleasurable memory I had almost forgotten.

PS. Eminem sounds much better in terms of punch and bass response than it ever did on CD or streamer for me.

3 Likes

Interesting, because I invariably play only whole albums when streaming from my music collection (original vinyl and CD all ripped and now in my compact music store). And without the interruption of a pause to turn over, especially with double or longer albums, it is more immersive and less likely that I’ll stop after “side 1” or whatever. Though ‘sides’ are still meaninful by memory if not in any other was evident streaming, especially with albums like Abbey Road.

1 Like

@pslosarc That’s sound encouraging. Probably if enough time is spent to research for the best pressings and releases, there are some good records even after 1985.

I agree that having to change the lp every 20 minutes is not ideal.
The perfect solution would be an lp juke box, but with a very good quality tt inside.

2 Likes

I find myself getting sidetracked a lot while streaming. Listening to something and that reminds me of something else so I end up going there, rinse and repeat.

Having to interact with the vinyl also makes me concentrate on the music more.

It’s great reading here how people experience music so differently.

4 Likes